Thread: May need to retire my gun dog

May need to retire my gun dog

So, a couple weeks ago I finally found out from the vet what was wrong with Angus, my nearly nine year old lab. For a month or so he seemed to be having some difficulty with his mouth or throat. He was swallowing a lot, like he had something in his throat, and he seemed to be breathing harder than normal after exercise. Had him checked out, and after a couple trips back to the vet it turns out the poor guy has a mild form of Laryngeal Paralysis. Basically, the nerves that control the muscles that open and close the cartilage over his windpipe aren't functioning properly, so it restricts his breathing.

(compliments of Dano)

Fortunately, its a mild case and we're in a "keep an eye on it" mode and keep his activity low especially in warm weather. So, I'll see how he is in the fall, but I'm leaning towards retirement.

Surgery is an option. They tie back the cartilage on one side to keep the airway open, and I will go this route if things get worse, just to make him more comfortable. One complication of the surgery is that the airway is now partially open permanently and he could potentially drown by taking in water, or to a lesser extent, get pneumonia by inhaling food or water. So, that's the main reason for considering retirement. Though, I guess upland and field work is an option instead of work over water, if we get his breathing corrected.

A tough call to make, but ya gotta do what's right for your pal.

Just wondering if anyone else had the unfortunate circumstance of running into this as well with their dog, if they had the surgery, and how did it turn out ?

Thanks,
    Terry
    Last edited by Angus; 07-03-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: May need to retire my gun dog

damn thats a tough break!!hope your pal gets on the mend..

Tough, sorry I can't give any first hand info on your particular situation. Try get as much info as you can and do what you think is best for the dog. My old gal is coming 10 spry as a pup so far but I dread the day I head to the blind with out her. The only consolation is I have her daughter and soon her granddaughter to fill the void. I have found that if you take your old(physically challenged) dog out for an easy hunt like shooting a few in the fields for them it helps to keep them happy and gives them a reason to get up in the morning.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Terry our dog had this when he was between 9 and 10 years old. He was having such a hard time breathing only every now and then, not constantly, but it scared us enough to get it looked at. After much consideration we opted for the surgery and were happy we did. Gunner came bounding out afterwards and seemed little changed. The specialty vet in Calgary did the surgery and he actually had 7 of the same surgeries scheduled for that week. One thing they did not tell us was that he would not bark anymore. Gunner had always been quiet so it wasnt a huge deal being that he never did have much to say. It came as quite a surprise when he starting 'huffing' (like a bark with laryngitis) like crazy afterwards. He also started hopping WHILE he was huffing, which always got us laughing. It was mostly at the cookie jar and he made out like a bandit. As far as the fluid in the lungs, they need elevated food and water bowls and, especially at the beginning, you need to keep them from drinking off floor level and swimming. It takes some getting used to for the dog and you but it gave us alot longer with our boy. Gunner lived to be 15 years and 3 months and never had any complications from the surgery. Also, we have such hot summers and that as well can be brutal on a dog with this condition. I wish the best to you and Angus, Mrs Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Mrs. Gunner, thank you very much for sharing your experience! We're still in a "keep an eye on it" stage right now, and he seems to be doing alright. And as you said, yes, the summer heat seems pretty tough on Angus; that and restricting his activity.

Thanks again,
    Terry
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

Not a problem Terry, get in touch if you want/need more details. I just re-read my post and realized it sounded like Gunner couldnt swim anymore which was not the case, it was just until he got used to things. Gunner always had a habit of drinking while swimming and never stopped doing that even after the surgery. He hacked a little when he did it but no problems evolved. I still have his food platform and harness (since collars are no longer an option after surgery) and could ship them to you if you decide on the surgery option. There are few things as adaptable as a dog. ) MG
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Took my 8 1/2 month old gundog to the vet yesterday because he was vomiting. Nothing they can do for him under $2000-$3000, not something I can afford. He has a bad virus and I gotta take him home and watch him go. Trying my best to keep him hydrated and praying he pulls out of it.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuckbuster View Post
    Took my 8 1/2 month old gundog to the vet yesterday because he was vomiting. Nothing they can do for him under $2000-$3000, not something I can afford. He has a bad virus and I gotta take him home and watch him go. Trying my best to keep him hydrated and praying he pulls out of it.
    Are you talking Parvovirus?
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Are you talking Parvovirus?
    The first vet thought it was Parvo. Took him to a second vet and they did a simple blood test. Turns out it was an infection in his intestine. They pumped him full of fluids and antibiotics. Brought him home on Sunday and he's as good as new.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

2nd opinion priceless!!