Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bow hunting shot distance

Re: Bow hunting shot distance

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    80 yards piece of cake
    Was the white cake or chocolate cake? Blood red icing? Pass thru or was it a frozen ice cream cake?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

With my recurve, I wouldn't really consider shots over 30 even if the animal presented well. IMHO too much can go wrong and it would suck to have to deal with a wounded animal. I've passed on stone sheep at 25 yards even though the animal presented well but it was waaaay too windy to ensure a confident shot. For me it's all about getting "up close and personal" with the animal anyway so I am inclined to wait until the animal is as close as possible and the shot presents itself.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

One can shoot distance accurately at a range with a know yardage but when one gets into a hunting situation and unknown yardage it can be a whole new ball game.

Most of my kills have been under 25 yrds and many of those well under 20. The closer the better. I practice out to 50 or 60 but I wont shoot at the black tails we have here farther than 40 unless its perfect... hasn't happened yet. elk etc out farther. This was a great question to read the responses on. Good for you for askin it!
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

I am only a year in and comfortable at 30 yards. 40 yards is doable fir me if the shoot is right. 50 is a Little inconsistent still. I practise at 50 with my field points.
    Hopefully this is the year, moose down !!
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

I shot deer from 12 yards out to 50 yards but my average would be about 30 yards. I very seldom have an opportunity from 60-85 yards at a shot at a deer because if I get blown out it happens either before or after that range and usually if I can get to 60 yards my success rate is probably 75 percent.