Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting shot distance

Bow hunting shot distance

Wondering what is everybody's average shot distance on big game here in bc. This is not a thread to judge others on their distances or argue ethical shooting merely just wanting to see what others experiences have been Ill start. My average with a compound is 40 yards although some have been as close as ten and as far as 63.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow hunting shot distance

I'm hoping to connect on my first bow kill this fall so I'm curious about this as well. Right now I'm confident at 30 yards mayde 40 by the time hunting season comes around.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

I have found still hunting and spot and stalking its usually 40-60 yards and ground blind/ tree stand 15-25 yards depending on setup.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountrybowhunter View Post
    I have found still hunting and spot and stalking its usually 40-60 yards and ground blind/ tree stand 15-25 yards depending on setup.
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting a ground blind for the whitetail season. Curious to see what others are shooting at and weather it's spot and stalk or blind/treestand
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

i have taken well over 100 big game animals with my bow and extremely confident to 50 yards, that being said i have only taken a couple over the 40 yard mark, although i will shoot at 50 no problems if all the conditions are perfect, i have lost several large animals because i thought they were going to come closer and instead they have turned and gone the other way. well withing my kill range just wanted to be closer. lessons learned
    Being a bowhunter has its ups and downs, knowing when to draw and when to shoot and when to let an animal walk away is all part of a successful bowhunter.
    todays bows are extremely fast and things have changed drastically since i started way back when a bow that shot 250fps was fast.
    so in short i have no average shot distance, just know when i am going to shoot at the animal, closest kill was 5 yards from a stand, closest spot and stalk was 10 yards.

For me no farther than 40 yards. And 40 yard has to be a bigger animal with a bigger area for a shot. For deer and bear no further than 30 yards. Exspecialy with bear because of there thich hide and bones. My closest shot was 15 yards from a stand and it was one of my bigger bears.

One thing to remember with bow hunting there is no shot limit, its shot placement. Dont shoot if your not sure. It aint a 300 win mag

20 yards max max max with my traditional bows. probably 50 max max max with the compounds and same for the crossbow. I practice out to 30 yards three to four times a week and although confident at these distances I've had deer jump the string on more than one occasion, glanced off an unseen branch at forty yards, and just plain missed. As far as I'm concerned the closer the better!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Last season I started bow hunting after about 8 years off, I got a grouse at 30 yards and a blackie at 23 yards. If I practice lots out to 60 then I can confidently shoot out to 50 yards. I agree with the closer the better.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

45 yards average with my omen
    Elite Energy 32

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I've shot an average speed compound bow for well over 20 years, killing many mulie, whitetail, and blacktail deer as well as quite a few grouse. My comfort zone is 40 yds or closer, although under perfect conditions, out to 50 yds. My furthest measured shot was 47 yds, and my closest was under 10 yds, all either 'spot and stalk' or 'still hunting' (slowly stepping while taking advantage of the terrain). By far the highest number have been between 20 and 35 yds.