Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excalibur crossbows

Excalibur crossbows

I am looking at getting a crossbow for the next hunting season and I am Intreaged by the brand Excalibur and am searching for a recurve minimum 350 fps and preferably under $800 any of you expirienced guys out there have any suggestions? cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Excalibur crossbows

Not sure what the newest and best models are and what they cost these days, but I have an Excalibur Equinox that I have been quite pleased with. Have accidentally dry fired it a few times and no catastrophic destruction, actually, not even so much as a snapped string and no limb damage as far as I can tell. I did have my Excalibur scope screw up on me but it took them less than 2 weeks from the time I sent mine in to the time the got a new one back to me. I wouldn't want to imagine those same accidental dry fires on a compound cross bow. I shoot a compound bow too (not crossbow) and have never had the issue of mistakenly dry firing it, for some reason I find it a lot easier to miss the step of knocking a bolt on the crossbow than on a bow.

I also have the equinox. Its a little hard too cock but extremely accurate. I can hit dinner plates free standing at 60 yds.You do have too uncock it when it sits for a few weeks or longer.Extremely accurate x bows,with lot's of hitting power.

Cool Re: Excalibur crossbows

I've owned three Excalibur bows to date - an Ibex, an Exomax and now a Matrix 380.
    They are pretty well The Best there is in the recurve line of crossbows.
    Damn near indestructible, easy to work on and have the absolute Best Warranty going (something most never have to bother with, but nice to know...)
    Each have been pin-point accurate and especially so the Exomax & Matrix which we target shoot out to 100 yards on occasion.

Since the introduction of the Matrix line January 2013), the "older" wider bows have been gracing the various Buy & Sell pages (Excalibur Forum, Archery Talk, etc) at quite reasonable prices. They are fine bows and that would be where I'd start looking if I were just starting out.

Even a few of the Matrix bows showing in the same forums, most just a little more than what your target expenditure is.

The Matrix line is now their "Flagship" bow. It is narrower by a good margin, lighter, and yet in many cases, more powerful. They come in various speed ranges (as determined by the name of the bow now) from the Matrix 330 (MSRP $ 799.99) through the Matrix 355 ($ 949.99) Matrix 380's ($ 1,149.99) to their most powerful, the Matrix Mega 405 ($ 1,349.99).

I greatly prefer the Matrix model over the older ones myself. Smaller yet more powerful package is appealing in the field in many ways.

Best thing I can suggest is try to get your hands on as many different models as you can. Handle them, cock them and shoot them if at all possible. One will likely just seem to "Fit" better than the others, and will make your decision all that much easier.

FYI, Excalibur maintains an online Forum similar to this one. Good bunch of downright Friendly Folks who are always more than willing to help out answering questions and providing advise as required. Site here: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/index.php

Can't go wrong with any of their bows IMHO. You've started down the right path, but be careful!
    Shooting and Hunting with them becomes a near instant Addiction!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I have a exomax, it's 5-6yrs old and i have zero complaints about it.
    Deadly accurate.

Love my Excalibur Ibex. At 50 yards, all blots are within the size of a softball.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Cool Re: Excalibur crossbows

Good piece of advise with these bows: DON'T Shoot at the same spot twice!!

60 yard screw-up. NEVER Again!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I have an Excalibur Axiom - great bow, agree with all that's been said about the brand. Axiom is slightly slower (mine clocks in a little under 320 the way it's set up), but still super accurate. Unfortunately, have not been using it much since I got a compound bow, so it's up for sale. If my shoulder was still bad, I'd be keeping it.

I have a Matrix 380, can't say enough good things about it. Excellent design, less things to go wrong in the field. I've upgraded the trigger, huge improvement. A tack driver @ 40 yrds, faster than my eyes can see unless using a lighted nock. Takes some muscle to cock, my wife can't manage it - but she loves to shoot it too. Matrix now available in a 310 model too. I second what Nog says about the forum, lots of help available.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastal View Post
    I've upgraded the trigger, huge improvement.
    trigger tech unit, money very well spent

also excellent advice on not shooting at the same target twice, they are accurate

great crossbows