Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And another newbie

And another newbie

Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi and actually post my first post! I've actually been a member here for a few years, since I got my PAL. I've had a passive interest in hunting for the last few years but have gotten way more enthusiastic the last year or so. I think this comes from listening to guys like Steven Rinella and hearing their passion and reasons for hunting. I finally signed up for the CORE program with Kent in Cloverdale and actually take my test tonight. Very excited to get my hunting licence!

My Uncle is a hardcore Newfie so I'm gonna steal one of his favourite jokes. He has tonnes of these quick little jokes that make you laugh/roll your eyes and loves to rattle them off in quick succession.

At a Newfie hockey game, they're giving away a prize in between periods. The guy has to shoot the puck from one end of the ice to the other and score, win a prize. So he gets it in and the crowd goes nuts. But the announcer guy says hold on, we just need you to answer a skill testing question to make it official. So he asks, whats 4+2. The guy thinks hard for a sec and then says 6. The whole crowd yells out give him another chance.

Anyways I'm going to make an effort now to stop lurking and posting more. Hopefully with a hunt or 2 under my belt that'll be much easier.

Currently I own a 22LR, 12 guage shotgun, and a 17hmr. Don't have a big game rifle yet but am looking at getting a 7mm Rem Mag. Thoughts? There's so many opinions all over its hard to know who to listen to.

Anyways hello to all and good luck!

Mike

2. Site Sponsor

Re: And another newbie

Welcome to HBC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0834 View Post
    Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi and actually post my first post! I've actually been a member here for a few years, since I got my PAL. I've had a passive interest in hunting for the last few years but have gotten way more enthusiastic the last year or so. I think this comes from listening to guys like Steven Rinella and hearing their passion and reasons for hunting. I finally signed up for the CORE program with Kent in Cloverdale and actually take my test tonight. Very excited to get my hunting licence!

My Uncle is a hardcore Newfie so I'm gonna steal one of his favourite jokes. He has tonnes of these quick little jokes that make you laugh/roll your eyes and loves to rattle them off in quick succession.

At a Newfie hockey game, they're giving away a prize in between periods. The guy has to shoot the puck from one end of the ice to the other and score, win a prize. So he gets it in and the crowd goes nuts. But the announcer guy says hold on, we just need you to answer a skill testing question to make it official. So he asks, whats 4+2. The guy thinks hard for a sec and then says 6. The whole crowd yells out give him another chance.

Anyways I'm going to make an effort now to stop lurking and posting more. Hopefully with a hunt or 2 under my belt that'll be much easier.

Currently I own a 22LR, 12 guage shotgun, and a 17hmr. Don't have a big game rifle yet but am looking at getting a 7mm Rem Mag. Thoughts? There's so many opinions all over its hard to know who to listen to.

Anyways hello to all and good luck!

Mike

Welcome to the nightmare!

22LR, 12G, and 17 HMR are great choices out of the gate I'd say, and while I'm not a "magnum" guy, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 7mm Mag as a "big game" rifle.

Welcome...... two years ago. 7mm Rem Mag? Nothing wrong with it, and lots of guys love'em. The 270 and 30-06 are very popular. Can't go wrong with those either. I would lean towards the latter, as ammo is less expensive, and more readily available, especially for the odd 6. Good luck tonight.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Thanks! The test was a breeze, no problems. Apparently it was quite a bit harder in the past. Ya, the ammo price is one reason my commitment to the 7mm has lessened. And a lot of guys seem to think there isn't much to be gained with the 7mm. Oh well, I guess I gotta pull the trigger on something soon, pun intended.

Welcome, congrats on passing, you gonna get out for spring bear??

If the recoil of your 12ga doesn't trouble you, then a 7mmRM won't be a bad choice. Neither would the other two cartridges mentioned, and a host of others. What are you planning to hunt with it, and under what conditions?

Welcome to HBC!
    Pretend hunter.

Welcome Mike! I'd tell any new hunter the same a magnum is not needed and usually not the best choice for a new rifle due to excessive recoil and exce$$ive cost to feed the pig. Some non magnum calibres that will get the job done even on moose sized animals that are cheap and readily available, easy on the shoulder so less prone to developing flinches and other bad habits would be 308 Winchester or 270 Winchester. Magnums shine at real long range like 400yds plus, but best not to worry about that right off the bat
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I've gotten used to the recoil off the 12 guage. The first time I shot it, it was quite the kick. Hit way harder then I had imagined. It's a pump action and has a ridiculously short barrel, 8". In retrospect it might have been a bit of a dumb purchase, not good at all for hunting. But it looked cool and I wanted it. I've done a lot of relatively close range clay shooting with it so I could be completely wrong but I dont think recoil is really a problem for me.

400 yard plus shots will not be happening any time soon. There is no way I would have the confidence to do that for quite a while. My in-laws have a place in sunshine valley and I do a tonne of hiking and exploring around that area. That's the area I'll be sticking to for now I think.

I'd love to go for a spring bear. I've never had the opportunity to gut and skin and animal though. That's one thing that worries me a bit. I've watched countless videos on the process but also know that it won't fully prepare me. What's your thoughts? Is this something I should tackle on my own or would that be really dumb. I have a lot of patience and don't at all mind putting in work. No one in my family or circle of friends have been hunting so I don't really have the bring a friend option.

Welcome! If you're nit planning on doing any long range shooting any time soon id recommend .30-06. You can still shoot longer range with this caliber but if you're doing 100 yard shots in my opinion there's not much to be gained from a magnum except for more expensive ammo.

As for gutting, watch a ton of videos, but I'd recommend finding a mentor to walk you through the first one. I remember walking up to my first bear, light was fading and I thought "oh sh*t what do I do?" Fortunately my buddy was there to give me tips otherwise I think I'd still be up on that mountain trying to gut that bear haha. Best of luck to you!