Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bull River Bighorn

Re: bull River Bighorn

Fisher peak is in the centre of the steeple range. Fisher sees a lot of hikers going to the peak, it's all steep and very thick for the first half. Think more west of that range

Quote Originally Posted by Grolar View Post
    so like mt hadiken, mt peak, mt Phillips, bull peak, and mt folk areas has more population of bighorn then
    Elk valley herd is the only one that is increasing. Current population estimate is 850+ in the elk valley, which makes up over 1/3 of the EK bh population. You want increasing populations as a hard winter results in high lamb loss, which drives recruitment down resulting in far fewer legal rams 4-6 years down the road. Holding everything constant, the first two years of a ram lamb's life are what's critical to horn growth. If you have a tough winter in there you kill the lambs and also have much higher than normal mortality in class IIV and IV rams.

connors lake is a good landmark starting point. The east side of the valley is good as well.

A spot you might find a picture or two of the country:

http://www.fontanabighorn.com/evbogallery.html
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

To be very, very clear the two areas which appear to be doing the best are elk valley, and the flathead. The east side really didn't have the snowfall the rest of the EK did. Since the regulation change in Alberta a few years back, the flathead has been producing far more legal rams than it historically did and on a consistent basis.

Most everything else suffered losses in winter 2011. Even if they weren't big losses overall hunters can expect to see the effect, because they are only pursuing a very small % of the population which can be heavily effected by winter mortality. A few of the small pockets of high elevation wintering sheep we used to pursue appear to have disappeared all together.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by E.V.B.H. View Post
    Fisher peak is in the centre of the steeple range. Fisher sees a lot of hikers going to the peak, it's all steep and very thick for the first half. Think more west of that range
    Just reread, meant east not west.

Here's a copy of the trench report:

http://www.ferniergc.com/documents/S...eep%202012.pdf

Mandela

No way! This has to be propaganda...you tellin me hunters aren't the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Grolar View Post
    Oh I find that opposite the only time I have use rope is for goats in mcbride and the island but these moutains will be the third time I will climb them so I hope it goes good ......I have hunted alot of stone in the skeena region and a little bighorn around lillooet but kootenays bighorn are new to me and they are one of the most challenging hunts I have encountered but with a little help from my friends I hope I will be successful this season....I have hunted the lower part for elk so it shouldn't be that bad
    dont forget to bring your 270.....

Naa man 300win mag is where it's at with 168g accubond.....better watch out sheep cause I'm coming
    Another hunt another story

Don't forget your rubber boots and Velcro gloves , those sheep ARE in trouble !!!

When you said that the only place that is increasing with sheep is elk valley ...is there conservation groups that help locate sheep into news areas and help them build the population for sheep in the kootenays because this is one place I don't want it go to hell and have bad hunting for ever because know one is looking after the sheep....is there any groups I can join to help the sheep and take apart in something that we all should do as hunters to make it a great place for us and our new hunters
    Another hunt another story