Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bull River Bighorn

Re: bull River Bighorn

Never heard of sheep on the Three Sisters . Lots of hikers up and down the trail to the summit.

Die-off a couple years ago had quite an effect on populations in that area.

Would try north end of elk valley. Sheep seemed to have fared much better during the die-off, and good trails. Quarrie creek, Fording etc.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Unless your friends are local die hard sheep hunters, you will really have your hands tied on this one. The locals are keeping tabs on them year round. So although you have heard of where they may be etc. The locals will know what drainage etc. Or they will push them out of their regular spots (on purpose or by accident) because they have seen them in numerous spots during the season. When you watch them form June to November year after year you pick up on their seasonal movements so you try to guess where they are going to be with the weather and hunter pressure moving them around. Lets face it even for guys that live there the odds are only about 5% harvest rates. I will let you do the math.

Regardess of odds and chances, like other have said beautiful country with lots of other game. Go enjoy it and just maybe you will see a bighorn.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

No sheep up 3 sisters. Have to get to the Steeples from Elko to Wildhorse. Some of those areas have some very nice mule deer too so keep an eye open.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    Die-off a couple years ago had quite an effect on populations in that area.

Would try north end of elk valley. Sheep seemed to have fared much better during the die-off, and good trails. Quarrie creek, Fording etc.
    so like mt hadiken, mt peak, mt Phillips, bull peak, and mt folk areas has more population of bighorn then
    Another hunt another story

Even if you've patterned them, so have many others.. Best be in the best shape of your life to be there first. Otherwise if your second you might well have stayed in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Sheep can be in steep terrain, but unless your goat hunting you can leave the rope at home.
    Not if you think you're hunting sheep on Mt Fischer or some of the Steeples Range. I've been there. Better to be safe. A slight skiff of snow or frozen rain on some of those slopes and your confidence of footing is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Not if you think you're hunting sheep on Mt Fischer or some of the Steeples Range. I've been there. Better to be safe. A slight skiff of snow or frozen rain on some of those slopes and your confidence of footing is gone.
    I guess your right ....50 feet of rope should do the trick, is there any other climbing equipment beside pic axe to invest to

Quote Originally Posted by Grolar View Post
    I guess your right ....50 feet of rope should do the trick, is there any other climbing equipment beside pic axe to invest to
    I would invest in a trip to the area pre-season to scout it out. The terrain you are talking about is no joke - listen to J_T.
    On the other hand, we almost drove right into a heard out there last fall at lower elevation...

Then which moutain is harder mt fisher or steeples range just wondering