Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Springer Spanial wanted

Re: Springer Spanial wanted

I know Linda at someday retrievers has a litter coming due at the end of July http://www.somedayretrievers.com
    i only know cause I got the mumma laying here next to me sweet springer smart as he'll she just needs a little more polishing in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by RebuiltMosin View Post
    I know Linda at someday retrievers has a litter coming due at the end of July http://www.somedayretrievers.com
    i only know cause I got the mumma laying here next to me sweet springer smart as he'll she just needs a little more polishing in the field.
    I just looked at their website..... No photos and no pedigrees of the Springers they are breeding (and very few photos and no pedigrees for their labs)??? These breeders are probably very reputable, but it really isn't reflected in t heir website. Red flags for me are the number of litters they have each year (7), and the fact that they seem overly focused on breeding for specific colors in their labs.

As a breeder myself, I know how much time a litter takes.. I have no more than two litters a year and to give the pups the attention they need takes a lot of time. Puppies need a lot of attention to really develop their full potential and I personally believe the time I have them before they go to their new homes is absolutely crucial... They need individual attention...walks afield when they are old enough to get around, socialization (with other people and other dogs), etc., etc., etc.,... I have two pups here right now I got from two different breeders....both were actually born on the same day. One was from a larger breeder back east, the other from a guy who has one litter per year in the midwest... I can tell you from my experience over the years which pup is going to excel... The pup from the larger breeder is a nice pup, but she's not even close to the other pup as far as pretty much everything... Whether she'll catch up is hard to say, but I'm going to have to spend a lot of time with her... The other pups is much more "people oriented"...she has to be with me and just eats up attention... She's bird crazy, does everything with enthusiasm, etc... Both are extremely well bred as far as their pedigrees go, but It's obvious to me that one has received far more attention than the other before I got them...

I have a lot of people who have had many springers over the years tell me the pup they got from me is the best pup they've ever had..... My dogs are from outstanding bloodlines, but no better than many, many other dogs.... I believe the difference is the time I spend with the puppies. My pups are born in the house. I have a litter of 8 that are a week old in the kitchen right now....they'll be there until they outgrow their whelping area (another 2 weeks or so). They are handled several times a day... Friends and neighbors who stop by handle the pups. My other dogs are in and out of the house during the day, etc... When they are old enough, I'll take them on walks daily...they'll chase butterflys, a wing on a string, sniff a few pigeons, wade in a kiddy pool, etc.... Young brains are like a sponge and they need exposure to as many things as possible to develop to their full potential... Can a breeder do this with 7 litters a year? I honestly doubt it...

Color: It's hard enough to breed for a sound temperament, trainability, brains, natural instincts, and proper conformation without throwing color into the mix... In my opinion, when breeding for color other more important factors are compromised.... Like they say, "A good horse can't be a bad color"....same theory applies to dogs.

OK...so much for the negatives.. What I do like about this breeder's website is that they do the health clearances...hips, eyes, EIC, etc... that does show that they are taking the right steps in that direction, but keep in mind that those clearances are just the preliminary steps when determining if a dog is of breeding quality.. Too many people think if a dog has hip and eye certification that they are automatically of breeding quality...wrong. That's just the basic requirement.. A dog has to have a sound temperament, brains, sound conformation, and a ton of natural ability before it should be considered for breeding.......

Enough.......

Might have hit a nerve there......

Was,just pointing out there is a litter coming due although I do have a huge amount of respect for your knowledge on the breeding areas. Her website could use a few more pictures but the springer pups wouldn't be up yet since mumma dog isn't due til July 23.

With 2 very good litters on the ground right now I don't think the OP will have trouble finding a great new hunting companion.
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

No nerve hit here... I have no idea who this breeder is and was just commenting on what I did and didn't see on the website. So, they breed Labs, German Wirehaired Pointers, and Springers? Anything else? If they can breed that many different breeds, have 7 or more litters a year and do a great job I tip my hat to them....

I'm pretty sure I am the breeder in 150 Mile House, I have a great reputation as well as 12 of the little rats running around right now. I understand your hesitation about long distance shopping, but most people with litters also come with references, it's not just buyers that get checked out! feel free to get my contact info from Foxton if you'd like to chat

Quote Originally Posted by Donalleyna View Post
    I'm pretty sure I am the breeder in 150 Mile House, I have a great reputation as well as 12 of the little rats running around right now. I understand your hesitation about long distance shopping, but most people with litters also come with references, it's not just buyers that get checked out! feel free to get my contact info from Foxton if you'd like to chat
    I would be happy to do so. I know both Sire (a Foxton bred dog and son of the 2004 CNFTC) pictured in Donaleyna's avatar and the Dam(who I imported from Maine). I own a full brother to this litter, he is a great gundog and loving family pet. When I first brought him home we would wrap him in a blanket and let him sleep on our lap, he will still, at almost 3 yrs., sometimes drag a blanket or towel over and sit at out feet waiting to be asked up and covered with the blanket. You cant go wrong with these pups.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Good day, we have 2 males left from our litter that was born January 16th. Both parents are great hunters and fantastic family members.
    Puppies are liver and white, feel free to contact me if you are interested, we live in Mission BC

Just be sure of all health checks, and a working ped agree FTC, CFTC, NFTC AFC MH etc are all field titles. Ch, OTCH, are show and obedience titles and have nothing to do with Field Work.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I have 2 males left, liver and white, born January 16th