Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springer Spanial wanted

Re: Springer Spanial wanted

Here's two female pups I just bought recently via the internet and a B/W male I got last fall.... One female came from Illinois and the other came from New York... The male came from New Jersey.... All were bought sight unseen. I let the breeders pick out a pup for me....I explained what I was looking for and left it up to them. Extremely well bred pups and it shows. I've done a lot of research over the years and know what to expect from different bloodlines, etc... I've been breeding Springers for the past 26 years now and have bought 12 pups over the years....all either from internet adds or magazine adds (before the internet)...I've never actually gone to a breeder's kennel and picked up a pup.. Do your homework, and you'll get a nice pup...

"Buckshot"

"Sage"

"Lizzie Belle"

"Sage" and "Lizzie Belle"

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Don't be afraid to search the internet if you can't find a pup locally..... Just go with a long time, established breeder.. Most reputable breeders will have a waiting list...not all, but many... Take a look at the ESSFT website...http://www.essft.com/breeder.html Most all of these breeders have been around a very long time. If they don't have a pup available, they would be a good resource to point you to someone who might (and perhaps someone relatively close to you). The internet has opened up all kinds of opportunities for people looking for a quality pup.... We are no longer limited to what we can find locally. Sometimes we can find a great pup near where we live, but more often than not that's not the case.. You can get a pup from the best lines in North America via the internet.. Yes, it's a little more costly but why settle for something mediocre? You're going to have the dog for probably close to 14 years.... Might was well start with the best!!!!
    Well said Tim. I have brought dogs in to BC from the eastern USA and the UK because they were what I wanted for my breeding program. As said Montana said it isn't cheap but to me it was well worth it. Unfortunately there are not a lot of breeders of quality Field Bred Springers in BC and even fewer in the LML. The 2 litters suggested by Cedar Cowgirl are virtually in the OPs "back yard" compared to some I've both imported from and exported to. You can't go wrong with either some notable bloodlines in those litters are CNFC Rolling Oaks Sumday Bud, FC/CFC Robinsmoor Frolic, FC/CFC Lady Guinevere II, FC/CNFC Sherwoods Ace In The Hole to name a few, and are both proven gundog bloodlines.

This pup is from the same blood lines, already working at 10 weeks

Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 06-26-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

You name some great dogs there....great looking pup too. My old Rosie was a granddaughter of Sherwood's Ace in the Hole.. Not many quality Field-Bred Pups in the west in general these days, Jim... I don't know why, but there just aren't many litters around Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc... I place a lot of pups in Washington and Oregon also as well as Alberta and Saskatchewan... I only have one and sometimes two litters a year and can't begin to meet the demand... I get phone calls and e-mails daily from people wanting a pup. Right now I have a two year waiting list and am not taking any more reservations... One to two litters a year is a lot of fun... More than that and it becomes work!!!

[QUOTE=Montana;1511813]You name some great dogs there....great looking pup too. My old Rosie was a granddaughter of Sherwood's Ace in the Hole.. Not many quality Field-Bred Pups in the west in general these days, Jim... I don't know why, but there just aren't many litters around Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc... I place a lot of pups in Washington and Oregon also as well as Alberta and Saskatchewan... I only have one and sometimes two litters a year and can't begin to meet the demand... I get phone calls and e-mails daily from people wanting a pup. Right now I have a two year waiting list and am not taking any more reservations... One to two litters a year is a lot of fun... More than that and it becomes work!!![/QUOTE]

Yah you got that and I don't get it either Tim. I also try for 2 a year but lately it hasn't been in the cards my last litter I sold 1 pup locally and the rest went all over BC and Alberta and I could have sold twice as many. The bigger problem is weeding out the people I am WILLING to sell pups to.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

[QUOTE=Foxton Gundogs;1511844]
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    You name some great dogs there....great looking pup too. My old Rosie was a granddaughter of Sherwood's Ace in the Hole.. Not many quality Field-Bred Pups in the west in general these days, Jim... I don't know why, but there just aren't many litters around Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc... I place a lot of pups in Washington and Oregon also as well as Alberta and Saskatchewan... I only have one and sometimes two litters a year and can't begin to meet the demand... I get phone calls and e-mails daily from people wanting a pup. Right now I have a two year waiting list and am not taking any more reservations... One to two litters a year is a lot of fun... More than that and it becomes work!!![/QUOTE]

Yah you got that and I don't get it either Tim. I also try for 2 a year but lately it hasn't been in the cards my last litter I sold 1 pup locally and the rest went all over BC and Alberta and I could have sold twice as many. The bigger problem is weeding out the people I am WILLING to sell pups to.
    Jim,
    Weeding out people is becoming more and more of a problem. Years ago everyone that contacted me was looking for a hunting/family companion.. A few were looking for trial dogs, but most wanted a good hunting dog. That last few years I'm getting more and more people who want a Field-Bred Springer for a family pet only. I appreciate them being honest and not saying that are going to hunt the dog when they're not..... What I'm seeing is that too many people think they're "Pretty".... I've had requests from people whose primary concern is that the pup have "freckles on its nose".... Others want the tail undocked because a long tail is so pretty.... Let them see a raw, bloody tail after a days hunt and they'd think differently, but these people have no intentions of hunting. There is a group trying to establish Field-Bred springers as a separate breed so they can write a breed standard and show them in the ring... I think they want to call them "Field Springers"... Few things could be worse for the field-bred Springer than for a group whose main interest is showing them in the ring.... We'd soon have a split in the Field-Bred lines...

At any rate, we've gotten off the topic here.....

[QUOTE=Montana;1511864]
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post

Jim,
    Weeding out people is becoming more and more of a problem. Years ago everyone that contacted me was looking for a hunting/family companion.. A few were looking for trial dogs, but most wanted a good hunting dog. That last few years I'm getting more and more people who want a Field-Bred Springer for a family pet only. I appreciate them being honest and not saying that are going to hunt the dog when they're not..... What I'm seeing is that too many people think they're "Pretty".... I've had requests from people whose primary concern is that the pup have "freckles on its nose".... Others want the tail undocked because a long tail is so pretty.... Let them see a raw, bloody tail after a days hunt and they'd think differently, but these people have no intentions of hunting. There is a group trying to establish Field-Bred springers as a separate breed so they can write a breed standard and show them in the ring... I think they want to call them "Field Springers"... Few things could be worse for the field-bred Springer than for a group whose main interest is showing them in the ring.... We'd soon have a split in the Field-Bred lines...

At any rate, we've gotten off the topic here.....
    We have, but you bring up a good point whit people wanting Field dogs for pets. A couple of reasons I get is that they are better tempermented than the show dogs where apparently most cases of so called "Springer Rage Syndrome" lies. I am not sure iff that is true but I can say that since 1984 I have not witnessed one case in a Field bred dog. Perhaps it stems from the fact that the field dogs still have an know their purpose in life, where as many of the bench dogs are so fare removed from their roots and reason for being that the are "lost" and frustration takes over. I hope people take a little away from our "conversation" Tim, IF they do then maybe getting a bit off topic isn't a bad thing
    "BORN TO HUNT"

I'd recommend one of foxtons springers for this. Very friendly dog Kudu has there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Montana and Foxton are spot on in their discussion. I to have a Foxton spaniel and concur with BiG Boar, I have been working with spaniels since I was a wee lad and it is as fone a rough shooting dog as I have owned.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

I also have a Foxton dog and she is great.

Jim,
    There used to be a breeder in Missoula by the name of Glen Martyn who had Firewind Kennels. He has since moved to California, but he was a genetics expert and told me he had traced the "Springer Rage" deal back to what he called "East Coast Show Lines". Glen not only hunted his springers, but also trained them for the County Sheriff's dept. (search and rescue I believe), for the hearing impaired, etc.). He told me he could find no instances of Springer Rage in Field-Bred Springers. That's doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but during his research he could not find any cases...