Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got an Alumacraft 1546 Tunnel boat?

Anyone got an Alumacraft 1546 Tunnel boat?

Thinking of getting one for next season - I have been told that the only aluminium boat worth buying is a welded one - apparently riveted ones suck!

Last edited by Kudu; 06-21-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone got an Alumacraft 1546 Tunnel boat?

Are tunnel boats better suited to jets? Curious mind!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Are tunnel boats better suited to jets? Curious mind!
    They make 2 different sized tunnels. The prop tunnels are significantly deeper. They are generally not interchangeable as prop tunnels cause cavitation with jets and jet tunnels are too shallow for props. A lot of guys in the southern us use prop tunnels especially in estuary areas with submerged sandbars.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

tagged for interest
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

I have a Crestliner 1860 with a 50 jet but no tunnel or "planing pods". I would go for both of them if you can in the beginning although I would have needed more power. Like already noted, that pic is a prop tunnel, a very different animal from a jet tunnel. I prefer the jet myself, but it depends on your planned use. Either way a forward center console levels out the boat a lot compared to a tiller. I was on a tight budget so got a compromise that works for me. Also, jet or prop, work very hard to control the weight of the whole package and get the most powerful, lightest motor you can afford. (jet loses 30% power over prop).

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    They make 2 different sized tunnels. The prop tunnels are significantly deeper. They are generally not interchangeable as prop tunnels cause cavitation with jets and jet tunnels are too shallow for props. A lot of guys in the southern us use prop tunnels especially in estuary areas with submerged sandbars.
    Exactly - I like jets - but I don't like loosing 30% at the drive end of the deal - or the exaggerated fuel burn - so what's best compromise? Why not run a prop inside a purpose built tunnel - jacked up on a plate for skinny Stuff, or simply dropped down for crossing the bigger water or the Brine?

Centre consuls are great for sorting the trim and balances out, but the boat Im thinking about isn't configured for that option. This boat will have two functions - duck hunting first and fly fishing second - in both cases a low profile is most suitable - a flat - forward deck - for casting or a "plug in" a swivel seat allowing for a great shooting position.

I didn't want a flat bottomed Jon boat with all its shortcomings on a windy day (a V cuts through chop way better, but gives less stability) - best compromised with a "modified V" seems a great solution -

I'll find out next weekend
    Last edited by Kudu; 06-23-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

If you aren't trying to run very shallow and would rather have a more pronounced v for better ride in the chop a jet doesn't make sense for you. There isn't a "do it all" boat out there.

if you are going to hunt the marshes you wont want a jet. They're like a big vacumm and will plug up in no time !

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    if you are going to hunt the marshes you wont want a jet. They're like a big vacumm and will plug up in no time !
    Jets don't work very well in marshes or the ocean!

Got my new boat - still doing a few small things to it - may throw some pods on the back to give it a little more lift (and to act as stairs for the dogs to get in and out on the water)

I've run it in two inches of water on the Harrison with no problems - gets 35mph with two up and couple of dogs.

Last edited by Kudu; 07-24-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Your pic didn't work for me...would love to see it!