Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to look for in African hunting safaris/outfitters?

Re: What to look for in African hunting safaris/outfitters?

Quote Originally Posted by Argali View Post
    For those that have hunted plains game in various countries/places in Africa, which would you prefer if you were looking for the most natural, rustic hunting experience with as few high fences and quasi-farmed animals as possible?
    Namibia can fit this criteria really well but if you want to hunt free range, there will be a lot less species available than on the fenced South African ranches. We are off to Namibia in July for a 100% free range, tented hunt on one of the tribal conservancies. This is our second trip to Namibia to hunt the conservancies. Namibia is very safe, relatively inexpensive for plains game and still offers plenty of free-range hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    One day, hopefully sooner than later, I'd like to do an African hunting safari. I don't have any dates or anything set yet just in the very early preliminary stages of figuring it all out and planning and saving up for it. Trying to gather some information for starting points so a few questions for those that have been or have close friends/relatives that have been.

1) How do you go about finding a legitimate well established outfitter? Anything specific to ask or look for? Does anyone have any outfitters they have used that they would recommend?

2) When all is said and done at the end of the day and the dust settles, what is a realistic total cost for such an adventure? I have found a few outfitters with hunting packages that seem reasonable, but had a hard time figuring out what commercial flights to Africa would run me and any extra things not usually included in the packages like shipping of trophies etc. Not looking at any dangerous game things at this point would likely start with some type of plains game package hunt.

3) Would you have any taxidermy done in Africa and shipped completed or have them dipped/treated and shipped "raw" to have someone here finish it?

4) I notice most Safaris offer their own firearms for you to rent to use. Do you recommend taking your own or is it too much of a pain in the butt to do all the travelling and importation with your own?

Any other information you think would be valuable input is also appreciated.

Thank you.
    As recommended, going to trade shows like the African shows or Safari Club International shows is a great way to short list you outfitters and then talk to past clients and do some internet searches. You may be surprised what comes up.

Without getting too crazy on the type and number of animals you shoot, you can have a heck of a hunt, excluding taxidermy for $15k. Flight to South Africa are much cheaper than the other African countries. We went last year for $1,450 and this year out Namibian flights are over $3,000. Fly with Star Alliance carriers all the way if taking own firearms.

We have always had our taxidermy done back in North America and will continue to do so.

Traveling with your own rifle does require some paperwork and additional cost but to me it's worth it.

Decide the following before even starting your search:

Budget
    Species you want to hunt
    Type of accommodations you want
    Are you okay hunting behind a fence?
    What is the minimum sized property you will hunt

These few questions will greatly limit your search.

Russ,

1) I hunted in Botswana last summer at Kanana Safaris ( west of Gwanzi, near Namibian border). They have about 1500 sq. km. - half of it is a cattle ranch and the other is a game ranch. A great place for plains game ( duiker all the way up to eland) Very reasonable prices. You can PM me if you want more info .
    2) the Canadian Food Import Branch changed the rules about importation of trophies from Africa. All trophies have to be in POST-taxidermist condition. If the trophies are determined to be not up to par, then they get sent to a decontamination centre ( closest one conveniently located in Alberta ) at your expense. These changes will probably make you think twice about how many trophies you actually bring back.
    3) Just a travel tip - be sure your plane ticket is in the name in your passport i.e. don't have Jim on one and James on the other - South African Airways doesn't like that.

Good luck,

Trophies are not required to be in a post taxidermy condition but you are correct that they must visit a CFIA approved taxidermist if not in a taxidermied state. The simplest method and cheapest option is to have your trophies shipped to the nearest city with a certified taxidermist, have him take care of treatment and then ship them directly to you or your taxidermist. It definitely adds some cost but it's not that cost prohibitive. Having CFIA turn down a shipment and then ship it to a CFIA taxidermist could get expensive but it's easy to save a lot of money with a little pre planning.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunterab View Post
    Trophies are not required to be in a post taxidermy condition but you are correct that they must visit a CFIA approved taxidermist if not in a taxidermied state. The simplest method and cheapest option is to have your trophies shipped to the nearest city with a certified taxidermist, have him take care of treatment and then ship them directly to you or your taxidermist. It definitely adds some cost but it's not that cost prohibitive. Having CFIA turn down a shipment and then ship it to a CFIA taxidermist could get expensive but it's easy to save a lot of money with a little pre planning.
    I recently got my stuff from last years trip. I immediately exported it to my taxidermist in the USA. I did all the paperwork(With the help of the USFWS) at the border. No problems at all.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

If you just want a great hunt ,and aren't overly concerned about being in the record book,then consider a meat hunt( the locals shoot for biltong)the diference is minimal but the cost is a fraction.Look at other cats than lions,that can be virtually staged if you want real sport-and for less money.An African hunt doesn't have to cost you a fortune

I hunted South Africa. Fenced hunts but you know that when booking. I rented guns but only because I knew people who had been to the same outfit and I knew he had good rifles. For 10 days of hunting it was only $100 for the rifle and ammo. I also did my taxidermy over there. I read up and knew people who used the same taxidermist so I knew what I was getting. I had 10 animals done (1 full and 9 shoulders) and delivered within 8 months. The cost with shipping was less then half then having them done here and that isn't including the cost I would have for dipping and shipping the horns and hides. With plane ticket, 10 days hunting, 10 animals, spending money, 2 days at a game reserve, trophy fees, tip, shipping and taxidermy I was under $20k. I have a thread here with a ton of stories and pics.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...th-Africa-2012