Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it legal to shoot a bow in my backyard?

Re: is it legal to shoot a bow in my backyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    I wouldn't do it....a friend of mine could tell a story if he reads this and wishes to share....lol
    That would be me.

Dont let a "safe backstop" make you feel invincible, arrows can do amazing things once they leave your bow. It is very possible to have an off shot that juuuust grazes the top at your target. That arrow could then ricochet straight up, over your house, across the street, and land in your neighbour's yard 100 yards away. You will then look like a massive idiot in your neighbourhood, have to apologize and profess your foolishness, purchase a case of beer for said neighbour, and be forever in debt should he decide to not call the cops on you.

I hate to be a poor sport; but "it happens". Don't let yourself be humbled and embarrassed like me.

Safe to say that some of the silly by-laws are in place for good reason. Like someone else mentioned, the sleep lost over a missing arrow is not worth it.

Cheers,
    Brad

I would not do it, I had a friend let one get away from him and it was later found a long ways away. Find a safe place and bring a target with you.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I used to look around for a safe, legal place to practice, but not only are they
    are hard to find, they're usually a long ways away from home which costs a
    lot of extra time, fuel, and vehicle wear.
    I joined our local Rod and Gun Club which has a safe archery range as well as
    a good 3-D range. The annual fee is less then my costs for running around
    trying to find a place to practice, saves me way more time, and opens the door
    to all manner of benefits offered by such clubs, including BCWF membership....
    it's a win win situation for sure.

I know its in our city bylaw that you cannot shoot a bow in city boundaries unless it's a specified shooting area.

i checked with the RCMP in Squamish. They said it would be fine but they didn't check the by-laws and neither did I.

We weren't shooting at home but we were well within city limits, in an undeveloped subdivision near our house.

I personally don't think it is too risky. Use proper technique and safety and you should be fine.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
    I would not do it, I had a friend let one get away from him and it was later found a long ways away. Find a safe place and bring a target with you.
    yep, know a guy that had his string loop break while drawing on a 15 meter target in his back yard. His arrow made it out of his yard. He was lucky no one was hurt. Was the last arrow he ever shot in his yard.