Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it legal to shoot a bow in my backyard?

is it legal to shoot a bow in my backyard?

I know it's probably been answered here before but I tried looking through old threads and couldn't find an answer.

I just got a compound bow and have a pretty big yard. I've got a nice 20 yard shot with my garage as a backstop.
    I want to be sure I'm legal cause I have a neighbour who would surely call the cops. ( I made his teenage kids stop shooting their pellet gun after I found two holes in my siding that were at an angle that could only have come from their yard )

I tried looking through richmond city bylaws and couldn't find anything about bows.

If anyone could provide some info or better yet a link to any relevant laws I would be grateful.

Thanks
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: is it legal to shoot a bow in my backyard?

Read your municipal bylaws
    http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/asse...1090924416.pdf

I don't see bows included in definition of firearms so I would say yes.
    But read the bylaw in full.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I had the same situation in my municipality...couldn't find the pertinent info I was looking for, so I went to the Hall and spoke to the bylaws officer. He supplied me with a complete copy of their bylaw outlining all the rules and penalties for non compliance (they were very severe). I would suggest you do the same because I'm sure there are bylaw rules addressing the use of archery related equipment in every Lower Mainland municipality. If the penalties are anywhere as stiff as Mission's, and your neighbour records your daily bow practice while you are in non-compliance, you can be hit with fines in the thousands.

Yeah I'll check it out city hall. Info doesn't seem to be on the website but I'm sure there is something somewhere.
    ignorance is not an acceptable excuse to break the law but you'd think it would be easier to find the laws.

Looking into burnaby lake range as well. But it'd be very convenient shooting in my yard if its kosher.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Hey buck nash, did you ever find out if there was any other bylaw outside of what's earlier above for archery in Richmond, BC?

http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/asse...1090924416.pdf

Not sure but you don't want too, I lived in an acreage subdivision and was shooting in my yard with an inlaw and his release let loose while he was drawing and the arrow shot across the neighbour property and landed in the ditch. Facking scary and embarrassing. Kept me awake at night for days thinkig about what could have happened as he had kids, pets, boat, travel trailer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Not sure but you don't want too, I lived in an acreage subdivision and was shooting in my yard with an inlaw and his release let loose while he was drawing and the arrow shot across the neighbour property and landed in the ditch. Facking scary and embarrassing. Kept me awake at night for days thinkig about what could have happened as he had kids, pets, boat, travel trailer.....
    Was he drawing level or does he lower his bow as he draws?

If you keep everything level and on/close to target while drawing that should not be an issue.

Further anchoring something behind the trigger will prevent accidental release unless your d loop is shot.
    "Animal rights" activists believe that animals have rights similar to those found in the charter of rights. I have yet to see a pack of wolves be targeted by such activists for taking down their dinner by the ankles.

This is why I live in the country.There are still A-holes out here ,just fewer of them!

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

All I can say is 'you've been warned'....
    "I had the same situation in my municipality...couldn't find the pertinent info I was looking for, so I went to the Hall and spoke to the bylaws officer. He supplied me with a complete copy of their bylaw outlining all the rules and penalties for non compliance (they were very severe). I would suggest you do the same because I'm sure there are bylaw rules addressing the use of archery related equipment in every Lower Mainland municipality. If the penalties are anywhere as stiff as Mission's, and your neighbour records your daily bow practice while you are in non-compliance, you can be hit with fines in the thousands"
    Add the liability lawsuits etc, and you're courting with financial disaster and possible criminal charges pertaining
    to 'knowingly and wilfully endangering'.

I wouldn't do it....a friend of mine could tell a story if he reads this and wishes to share....lol