Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower Mainland Scull float hunters ?

Lower Mainland Scull float hunters ?

Howdy, I am temporarily residing in Vancouver for the fall and was wondering if there are any scull float hunters down here in the lower mainland? I have been hunting a float for a while now up north and have yet to meet another sculler or laid eyes on another float in B.C or Alberta but with all the perfect scull water down here I thought maybe there might be someone else who likes doing things the hard way. I was told by Bankes Boats that they delivered a scull out here years ago and a Mr Macdonald out in Delta was the first person I ever met who recgonized what a float was so I suspect there might be a quiet pocket of scullers somewhere?

Basically I'd be interested in comparing boats, oars, gear and swapping lies. I am building a second float this winter for my son and would love to learn something about the B.C heritage/design/construction of scull floats (if it exists?) I hunt an aliviso and would be happy to let someone try it in exchange for a chance to try a different hull. I have a stack of oars. (I'd be willing to give any non scullers who are curious a chance to try my float. I can be throw it in the water at Jericho on a calm non weekend evening for you)

also if anyone knows of any old floats rotting in the weeds I'd be keen to take some measurements off them.

Like any sculler I am all for under the radar silence so by all means PM or email.
    Last edited by northernsculler; 09-25-2014 at 10:34 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lower Mainland Scull float hunters ?

i have not sculled a boat since i was a kid and dads old 4 hp atlantic shit the bed on us
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Cause ya said Atlantic and not Easthope I am guessing you hail originally from the rock? were ya hunting eiders that day?

yeah im from the rock and that day we were on the way home from the cabin
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Ill bite what's a skull,skuller?

Based on most waterfowlers in BC I'd say when first asked about sculling they'd had no clue. It's never been that popular. Something I'll do for brant one of these years.

I have a few friends in Washington and Oregon with sculls and they plan on bringing them up to hunt sometime. A few one mans and a couple two man scull boats.

i have the blueprints and plans for a merrymeeting two man scull boat but never got around to building it.

a scull boat in BC waters would be truely deadly. Almost like cheating here. You'd be bumping sleeping ducks off your bow!
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Farmer, Yeah brant are high on my to do list as well. If by cheating you mean laying in cold water on your back with your wrist and shoulder and neck cramped to heck for an hour only to have the birds peel off at the 60 yard mark then yep it is just like cheating LOL. It is a pile of work but super addictive. I mean addictive.

A Merrymeeting would be good for anyone wanting to hunt the Fraser R, Boundary Area etc. Enough boat to handle a motor that can keep up with tide and current and enough boat to survive a barge wake and chop. I contemplated one but needed something that could travel on a vehicle roof and be launched with out a ramp. If I lived down here all the time I'd build one in a hurry.

Figure of speech. A buddy while we were in Arkansas said that to me about his son hunting canvasbacks out of a scull. They were bumping sleeping cans they got so close.

Boundary bay would be ideal for a scull. I'm sure you'd even get a euro if picky enough and watched them before sculling into them. That's what all the guys I know do down on the coast. Trophy selection for taxidermy.

Ive floated down the Fraser in my Momarsh fatboy. Not a true scull but low enough profile and design. Have a 7hp mud motor on it for other spots.

Let's see a picture! I can count on one hand the number of scullers in BC!
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Yes sculling is the ideal way to get specimens. More important though it is the way to get the plumpest birds for eating. For fun I carried the sheep scope out a couple times to look for bands. Totally frigged someone's data as the double below were banded on the same day. LOL. One had his head under his wing and his buddy was paying to much attention to the eagles. Did'nt bump em just close enough for the pattern to touch both. I do not have alot for pics but here are couple.

Local water:

All trimmed up:

Early season bird:

7 nice drakes and someone else's half rotten cripple.

Spot and stalk birds:

Quote Originally Posted by rides bike to work View Post
    Ill bite what's a skull,skuller?
    AKA layout punt
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.