Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Pant crapping moment

A Pant crapping moment

So I was a bit bored today and decided I would go for a bit of a hike. I grabbed the binos and a fawn distress call for the heck of it and headed out. The day was quite uneventful until I hit one nice looking open area and decided I would do some calling. A few minutes in and I look up and see this looking down at me

Cool I thought, she started worked her way down towards me when suddenly she stopped and stared down and to my right into some thick shit. This is the moment I heard what I would describe as something doing a power stomp on a pile of brush. The deer took off like a bat out of hell and then I heard the sound of a freight train coming directly my way. The bear cleared the bush in front of me and did a 90 degree when he saw me standing there with my "oh sh!t" look lol.

Probably doesn't sound as hair raising as it really was but I assure you it was an adrenaline rush and a lesson to not leave the rifle at home. Or at least not play with a distress call when not armed

The call I was using if interested is the "deer talk-the deer stopper"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A Pant crapping moment

Yup, sounds like a high pucker factor moment. I'm not a bear hunter, but I'm guessing calling them must be the most exciting way to do it.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Bears aren't the only animals that will come to realistic calls. Best to do it where something like a cougar can't sneak up behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Bears aren't the only animals that will come to realistic calls. Best to do it where something like a cougar can't sneak up behind you.
    That is something I didn't really think of-I will certainly be a touch smarter from here on out.

yeah, from what I've heard calling bears works very well, sometimes too well. And to be ready from all sides when calling because they come in fast and aggresive.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    That is something I didn't really think of-I will certainly be a touch smarter from here on out.
    Hope so.

That's like going to crenshaw, harlem or compton and yelling....you know what,.....you're going to get results.

Glad to hear of the lesson learned!

What!? No pic???
    "Pimpin' aint easy"

Quote Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post
    What!? No pic???

The only way I could have possibly gotten him on camera would be if I had the gopro on my head, this all happened extremely fast.

I will be going back out later this week with a friend so will have a camera rolling.

I am curious, does anyone know what that first sound would have been? Is it common for a bear to stomp/thrash like that as a warning? I wish I could have seen whatever he was doing because it was quite the intimidating sound.

When you use Distress calls for bears you turn the kill switch on.... His stomping might have been done to scare off the animal that was "killing the rabbit"
    Distress calls for bears are NOT to be underestimated.... A bear comming in to it is coming to kill..