Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grouse

Re: Grouse

I think it also depends on predator numbers, coyotes, foxes, and eagles/ospreys all eat grouse. In 100 mile I have noticed the fox and coyote populations increasing the last couple years and the grouse hunting has suffered, I had a grouse living in the yard too until the local fox found it.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I would be interested in finding out the total rainfall this June versus last June. I think overall it has been a lot less.
    here
    http://chilliwack.weatherstats.ca/ch...ain-1year.html
    http://vancouver.weatherstats.ca/met...ipitation.html

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    I have been seeing lots of blue grouse chicks,,,and quite a few ruffie chicks and even chuckar chicks here in kamloops area so far,,,,,,,BUT,,,,it is still early yet in year,,,,,if it stays fairly dry in june,,,early july,,,,then keep fingers crossed for a good harvest of them this fall
    I have been on several of the local Forest Service roads over the last couple of weeks (zone 6-30). I have been seeing lots of ruffed grouse with their brood. Saw a spruce hen with chicks today as well. Most are at the stage where the chicks can fly. We have had a dry spring so far. Bodes well for the fall. Nothing better than a crisp fall day with a 20 gauge in hand and my dog working the bushes.
    Semper in excretum altum

Agree, much less rain in Squamish this year. I'm seeing and hearing more grouse too.

Grouse14, I think you're in for a good year this year. I personally haven't found one area better than another in this neck of the woods, so I recommend picking an area where you've seen a few and working it. I tend to not hunt them as much as shoot them when I see them on the road but there are a few good threads on here about good strategies for hunting grouse.

Enjoy!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Just got gone from the furry creek fsr and I saw a couple chickens but they were in the no shooting area. My intent was to scout the area and see what was out there. I saw 4 birds ( in the pissing rain ) some bear scat and a ton of garbage and shells. I brought a garbage bag and a rake and the bag was full when I left and you couldn't tell I cleaned at all. I had an idea what I would run into thanks to other threads. Love this website and happy hunting

Kudos to you marco604 for removing a bag full of trash. +1karma

Quote Originally Posted by marco604 View Post
    Just got gone from the furry creek fsr and I saw a couple chickens but they were in the no shooting area. My intent was to scout the area and see what was out there. I saw 4 birds ( in the pissing rain ) some bear scat and a ton of garbage and shells. I brought a garbage bag and a rake and the bag was full when I left and you couldn't tell I cleaned at all. I had an idea what I would run into thanks to other threads. Love this website and happy hunting
    Thanks Marco. Fury is a beautiful little valley, such a shame it gets treated like that.

I haven't seen quite as many Region 2 grouse over the last few weeks like earlier in the summer. I saw a female spruce with at least one little cheeper yesterday. The baby was still only the size of a freshly hatched gosling. I'm surprised it was still so small. Any other recent observations of grouse numbers in Region 2 and elsewhere? How's 100 Mile and Kamloops?