Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grouse

Grouse

Hello all.
    I was wondering where to hunt grouse around region 2?
    I live in Furry Creek and there is a forest service road down the road from me so im assuming i could find some there?
    Ive been down by ashlu before and seen them there but only about 2-3 times per year.
    I own a small beagle (1yr) so maybe that can help?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    thanks all

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by grouse14 View Post
    Hello all.
    I was wondering where to hunt grouse around region 2?
    I live in Furry Creek and there is a forest service road down the road from me so im assuming i could find some there?
    Ive been down by ashlu before and seen them there but only about 2-3 times per year.
    I own a small beagle (1yr) so maybe that can help?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    thanks all
    Though I have been seeing more than usual so far this year, grouse come few and far between in Region 2. It has been a fairly dry Spring and last year wasn't too bad either, so you might expect a few more rather than the usual next-to-nothing. I'm sure you'll be able to turn a few inside out this fall.

Scout around over the summer and keep track of where you see them, then pay those areas a visit on opening day. Grouse tend to stay in the same general area and don't wander too far, particularly the males. It's Region 2 so you'll still have to work for finding decent pockets that hold some grouse. For a sure thing, you would have to venture out to places around Region 5 where you can pass on anything less than huge and still get your bag limit.

thanks caddisguy since you said that they normally stay in one spot i will try find an area where a friend of mine went dirtbiking and saw 2 grouse a week ago.

Have seen more grouse this spring than any other time in region 2. Certainly not lots but enough to gain my interest fir fall.

this year they're quite small...
    (Chilliwack last week)

Pm grouse daddy. He has the scoop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Its gonna be a good season...Mama grouse with her lil grouse were walkin around eatin berries in my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by grouse14 View Post
    Its gonna be a good season...Mama grouse with her lil grouse were walkin around eatin berries in my backyard!
    Just because you saw a mother and chicks in your back yard doesn't mean it's going to be a good year. June is the critical month for grouse chicks. If it's dry we have a good survival rate on the chicks and a good fall. If it's wet the chicks get pneumonia and a lot die. Then we have a shitty fall. June has been wet around here. I hope other ateas have been better.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I have been seeing lots of blue grouse chicks,,,and quite a few ruffie chicks and even chuckar chicks here in kamloops area so far,,,,,,,BUT,,,,it is still early yet in year,,,,,if it stays fairly dry in june,,,early july,,,,then keep fingers crossed for a good harvest of them this fall
    Aim small,,miss small

I am not sure whether to wish for rain or dry weather. Rain would be nice to keep the fires and fire bans away. Dry would be good for grouse hunting in the fall. Maybe there's a happy medium.

Region 2 has seen rain fairly frequent over the last month, but it seems to just be light rain for an hour here and there. I would be interested in finding out the total rainfall this June versus last June. I think overall it has been a lot less.