Thread: Hand primer tools

Hand primer tools

I'm looking for some help on deciding which hand primer tool to buy. The Russell's book has an RCBS tool listed for around $46, yet the Lee tool is only $19. My question is: is the RCBS worth 2 1/2 times the price? or is it just "paying for the name?" thanks for any help. Steeleco
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hand primer tools

I've never used the RCBS copy of the Lee one. I have and use a Lee one, and have no difficulty with it at all. I guess a guy might say "how can you compare them then?"....but I've never needed to. Hope that helps? I had to die-grind the opening to give clearance for RUM brass, but that was done at the behest of the manufacturer.
    If you see it, you can hit it!

bone-collector Guest

RCBS takes standard shell holders were the lee requres its own specific shell holders for the hand tool , as well the rcbs is built with alot more strength in my opinion , both do the same job well , its just having to buy a 20+ dollar set of shell holders I didnt like for the lee seeing I already have the shell holders for the rcbs press

Thanks guys. Rob. thats why the Lee is cheaper, after you buy holders they're just about the same price. I already have holders that came with my dies. Don't need more!!

Check to see if the special shell holders are included in the Lee price.

Thumbs up Re: Hand primer tools

I got a RCBS one and it works pretty good. No experience at all with Lee reloading equipment.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

The holders appear to be only $4 each, but like BC said I already have a set that came with each of my dies. I may have found a tool second hand so I'll take what i can get.

bone-collector Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird
    I got a RCBS one and it works pretty good. No experience at all with Lee reloading equipment.

stay that way and you will keep your sanity..well what little you have

rrfred Guest

hey fellows been using the lee model for almost 25 years= which equals ten-000 plus rnds. got 20 plus out of the first one with only one small part replacment. bought a second one a while back to keep the shell holders matched for .473 and magnum bolt faces. my .02 cheers rrfred