Thread: Deer there in May, where are they in October?

Deer there in May, where are they in October?

Went to a spot yesterday that I have been to numerous times before in deer season and never seen a thing and saw two groups of five does, one on a south-facing slope in a clear cut and the other in a flatter cut down in the valley.

The area is fairly high and most places had not really greened up enough to be attractive to bears though, there was only rare, sporadic scat along the valley bottom. Looks like spring is delayed there compared to my previous spring trip to the area.

My question though, is if I see deer there in May, where are they in October in that area? There are nearby alpine areas they must climb to in the summer.

The area is heavily hunted, there are obvious hunting camps everywhere along the valley bottom and I know during my fall trips there I've seen camps and plenty of guys on quads.

The deer are pretty nervous though, as soon as they realized they were being watched they quickly moved on.
    Last edited by MichelD; 05-24-2014 at 11:54 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer there in May, where are they in October?

i would bet they are in the adjacent sub-apline areas in october like you said. discovered that myself last year. 1700 meters mid oct, then once the snows dumped, they came down to 600-800m in the beginig of November, where they stay until mid May. hopefully find the major migration route with trail cams this year.

they move higher up and because of all the hunters and quads that is good for you it pushes the deer high up from the roads so start hiking up on the ridges away from the roads and you will see them

I don't know about mulies, but the whitetails here disappear for the month of October!