Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

Re: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

20-25 minutes can mean 40 yards in some places on the island.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

I took a mature moose in Atlin in 2001 across a dry swamp from about 475yds. Dropped him on the first shot from a lying down position. Although he did get up he didn't go more than a few yards before he went back down. For all the 30.06 fans it was a 180gr Federal Premium. I aimed roughly 1ft above his shoulder and I'll be honest I was surprised I hit him on the first shot, not the most comfortable shot or would I make a habit of it. At the time it was about the only shot I had because it would have taken an hour to walk the edge of the slough to avoid crawling across the middle. I've taken a few other animals in the 250-350yd range but nothing like this one.
    Last edited by Caveman; 02-25-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

In 1989 I saw my dad take a coyote with his vintage Husky 270 with no optics, through an elevated peep sight. The yardage I can't be sure of, but I counted 631 strides to get there. I watched the shot through my binos and from the shot to impact felt like two seconds, I couldn't believe what I had just seen.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Whitetail this year at 325 yards with a 375 H&H mag, 260 gr hornady interlock. Went about 30-40 yards.

2006. Parker Hale 30-06, 180 grain Federal Nosler Accubond. 110 yards. Spike fork buck . Back end to me with a hair quater to the right. Head turned left looking back. I am sitting sideways with elbows on my knees. Bullet entry left side of neck exit right side. All I saw in the Bushnell was 4 hoofs upside down in the air. Ohh... sorry you said BIG game.
    Last edited by pmj; 02-26-2007 at 12:18 AM.
    Paul J
    BC Wildlife Federation
    BC Rifle Association
    Finnish War Veterans in BC

408 yards on a moose my uncle had shot low in the sternem, on a broadside shot I managed to hit it three times well it was running, one neck one spine one in the guts .All of whichs were lucky shots but I knew he had hit it already,so I might as well try.normally all my shots are pretty close but I thought this would fit the thread.

oh yah the spine shot dropped him and we measured it with a lecia rangefinder the next day.

Sask WT somebody had shot in the back leg sometime earlier that week - leg was windmilling as he tried to trot away with a bunch of muley does. Figured he was coyote bait. Stopped broadside at 442 yards. Found the only bush in the prairies suitable as a rest.

14 hour drive for a 130" rat - expensive meat!
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

500 yards was my longest shot ,this shot was a once and only shot i ever took at that range and will be the last time i will shoot that far ,to me it's not fair to the animal to shoot out that far ,the chances for a wound are there for sure. I did this years back when i was younger ,got more smarts now that i have aged in my hunting years ,my longest shots now are around 300 plus yards. hunter 1947.

Have never had the need to make really long shots, 200 yards on a Mulie 3-4 years ago, 300 yards on a coyote about 12 years ago. Both dropped in their tracks....Mulie slid down the hill a bit though .

Mine was 285 yards on a black bear this past spring with a 338/08. I don't usually have to worry about super long shots in most of the spots I hunt.