Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

Re: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

Friend shot a 4 point whitetail at 411 yd ( used rangefinder) with a 25 Gibbs. Hit behind shoulder and he went stright up with all fours legs . He hit the ground and jumped up heading for bush about 60 yds away. He nose dived at the 45 yd mark but manged to crawl into willows. He was not going anywhere.

Later that week he shot a mice mulie at dusk off shooting sticks at 425yds with 7mm mag ( 154 gr bullets). Missed on first shot, second shot was in boiler room and third was high on shoulder and down he went.

Range finders , good rests and sighted in rifles can do amazing things.

What a year !!

hahah good thing I got a close pin because I smell alot of BS coming out of this Thread!! A Buck at 140 yards brodside, all of a sudden becomes 540 yards and you shot him in the head while it was in a full sprint!LOL

Mine was an island blacktail, 150ish yards. It wasnt an extremely long shot, but it was walking towards me, so a pretty small target. First deer, so lots of wobbly crosshairs too.
    Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. ~Aldo Leopold

Longest shot...probably the last moose i shot back East, ~150yrds, one shot dropped him in his tracks with a .308 180grn. Hunting in the interiour can't say that i've seen to many animals out past 200yrds that you could actually see enough(brush and trees) of the animal to make a comfortable shot!!
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

I shot a mature moose at about 400 yards 3 years ago. I turned to see him trotting for the back door of the cutblock I was in. As I was cursing my bad luck he stopped broadside for a look at me. I took 2 quick shots at his boiler (aiming just above his spine) with my 30.06 and he just stood there without any reaction. I cursed again thinking my scope was out or I had the range guessed wrong. I kneeled down and took two more shots at his head. The second shot hit him in the neck where it attaches to his skull and he dropped. Turns out the first and second shots were 6" apart through the lungs just above the heart. At 40" he is my best moose, but I'd trade him for a 100" Island blacktail any day.

I once shot a blacktail with a slug from a goose gun at 150+ yards. I won't do that again now that I am all growed up.
    Blktail

If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Antelope hunt in Wyoming, paced off at 297 paces, uphill. He never went 20 yards, hit him in the boiler room with my .270 shootin Barnes X.

My biggest black bear 185 yrds up hill..30-06 165 partition, range finder, double lungs he didn't go far.
    Steve
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

Many years ago a mule deer at 660 yards with a .270 win. M77 one shot through the head didn't move an inch. I would not have believed it myself but my cousin (moosehunter) knew exactly how far it was to the back of his 1/4 section and varified the shot. I don't think I could reproduce it ever again.

Dropped my bull elk this year @ 303 yards I believe it was. The 2 shots were 3/4" apart. I felt extremely comfortable with that shot and wouldn't have a problem using the 450 yard reticle on my B&C reticle Leupy, CONDITIONS PERMITTING.
    I had a solid rest in a prone position on that elk and had all the time in the world as I counted those points 50 times before I squeezed on him.
    Longest free hand shot was 147 yards on my spring bear in '06, bang flop. Right after a 200 yard hustle to cut him off too.

My brother shot a moose at over 600 yards at the top of a cut block. He used a rest and shoots a 338 Lapua. He had no GPS with him, he aimed about 3 feet above its back, and hit it on his second shot. It took him around 20 - 25 minutes to walk to where the animal was shot as it dropped in its tracks. The next year I saw the location. I feel that is way too far to shoot but he is a good shot and was getting eager. I had shot my moose on opening day and he was now hunting alone as I had to head home and it was now day 4 or 5.
    "Remember all boys grow up wanting to be just like dad"