Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

Re: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

I have been successful at a little over 300 yards. I had a perfect rest and lot of time to take the shot. 3oo yards is a long ways for me to shoot. I have seen video on hunters taking shots at 800+ yards to over 1000 yards. These guys must be snipers in their last life. Puppy.
    GOOD FRIENDS TO HUNT WITH, FRESH AIR TO BREATH, THE B.C. OUTDOORS, BIG GAME AND BROADHEADS, WHAT A LIFE. MAY THE DESTINATION OF YOUR PROJECTILES REACH YOUR DESIRED POINT AND YOUR NEXT HARVEST BEST YOUR BEST TO DATE.

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    I would love for these long range "confidence" shooters with their one shot kills put up a demonstration for me at the gun range at animal targets similar to the range they made these kills at under very ideal conditions - such as no wind, dead rest etc ....
    Exactly, I had a goat client from Michigan talkin' it up big time in camp about all the 500+ yrd shots he's made and he brought the same gun and had no problem reaching out there - 300wsm done to the nuts, weed burner and all the rest of the junk they show up with. Had one of them personalities that needed an adjustment.

See billy, stock billy, get within 400 yrds, perfect rest, "Ok, let's see it" - -reply " too windy, too steep, let's get closer". Laying over a rock at 180 yrds and 3 shots later he finally got his goat! Heck of a shot!

No different than the bow hunter that can't hit a friggen' black bear at 15 yrds but figures he's good out to 60.

The big buck always gets away - he's usually atleast 200 yards farther away and 50" bigger than he would have been had the hunter finished the job and put the critter on the ground. Moose are always atleast 50", black bears 6ft, grizz 7ft, mulies 170, wt's 150 and elk are always over 300, Stone's are 40", rockies are booner's for sure!!! Did I miss anything?

Hunters are bsers - it's in our nature. Thing is it comes more natural to some than others!
    Last edited by GoatGuy; 10-12-2007 at 09:33 AM.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I should also mention I had a client who was a sniper in the Swedish military - - showed up with a .308 and refused to shoot at 4 legged critters over 200 metres.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by puppychow View Post
    I have seen video on hunters taking shots at 800+ yards to over 1000 yards. These guys must be snipers in their last life. Puppy.
    Not Snipers...............Just Morons

Quote Originally Posted by alremkin View Post
    MRP, I'm moving up to Burns Lake next week. One of the biggest attractions of the area is it's 1,000 yard range. Of course I'm hoping to be in the competion next year. Will you be there?
    If I can. PG is making a 1000 yd range to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack O'Connor
    ... not once in a blue moon was a hunter justified in shooting at a big game animal over 300 yards away.

Originally Posted by Jack O'Connor
    ... not once in a blue moon was a hunter justified in shooting at a big game animal over 300 yards away.
    He's on record as having done it himself. More than once.

Quote Originally Posted by chucknelson View Post
    He's on record as having done it himself. More than once.
    Then His experience on the topic only help "solidify" his remarks regarding "Necessity" now doesn't it.....

Wink Re: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGHUNTERFISH View Post
    I hear shots going off one after another at least 8 in total .I walk up the side of the ridge close to where the moose was standing and see the big bull trying to walk acrooss the slide ,I lean my rifle on an old stump and let a bullet fly in the shoulder of the moose and he goes down instantly.I hike up to the bull and find a moose that has a bullet in the gut the back of his ass and above the front leg,as well as the shoulder.I wait and about 25 minutes later these two guys come hiking up ,all excited saying thats our moose thats our moose and that they were shooting a very long distance and that they had made some great shots,I let them know that I finished the bull off and they said right on.
    More Long Range Experts no doubt...........

Smile Re: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    More Long Range Experts no doubt...........
    I doubt that, if they were, it would have only taken one shot...