Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

Re: What is the longest range you have taken a big game animal?

275 yards fresh clear cut mule deer. rested the rem 7600 forestock on tree stump to ensure a steady aim on the vitals.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

Estimated minimum 500 yds. Shot from the trees on one side, across a wide gravel bed (Tetsa River) to the other side of the river and up against a sand bank. Bull moose standing there with a cow. Couldn't tell it was a bull till I had the scope up at 9 power. Was a 36" bull and in those days, any bull was ok to take. Shooting 200 gr Nosler partition out of 300 Win Mag (2700 fps estimated). Aimed just over the top of the hump, hit it about 2/3 down the chest cavity. I was sighted in about 2" high at a hundred yards. Assume about a 24" bullet drop on my shot. Took the shot kneeling and up against a tree, hand on the tree, gun against the tree and in my hand. Took my time as the bull wasn't going anywhere with the cow standing there. I had called and they were trying to pin point me and weren't moving. One shot, legs splayed immediately, dropped about 3 - 5 secs later.
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER

You bored, SS? This thread's from 2007, and was trouble back then!!

Quote Originally Posted by mntman View Post
    immy moose at 545 yrds dropped in his tracks
    99 years old today!
    Wow
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

made a nice steep downhill shot a a mulie buck this yrs,ranged just under 300 yrds,put two into him 2 inchs apart,300 win Mag,have made 350 yrd shots with the weatherby a few times over the yrs all clean kills

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

i shot a buck at two yards..and 6 yards... and harvested one bear at about 7 yards...
    i also shot one bbear with the barrell on the bear before i fired...didnt find him though.

i have shot long...but shooting close has the bragging rights.

I’m set up for much longer but my longest shot was 370yards on a goat. Dead right there.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

803 on a bedded ram, he did get up so got another in the lungs and tumbled 100yds downhill. Both double lung shots 3" apart. Problem with further distances are the environmental's. A spotter is more important than the shooter. In this case the conditions were perfect and corrections were 100% accountable for. Not usually the case out past 500yds in sheep/goat country.
    I will add I just started practicing with my first vertical compound bow. Although not very proficient with it yet, I would compare a 50yd bow shot to a 500yd rifle shot. The bow shot doesn't seem to get the same criticism as the rifle shot.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Never had a rangefinder back in the days but my guess was 500 + yards
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..