Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The bow hand grip

Re: The bow hand grip

We're not talking accuracy here are we Chris...more like blind bale (or 12yds max) shooting just to break the habit.
    Yep, you got it. This is not a long term grip as the side pressure from your knuckle is not good for accuracy. As you say this is done to break the habit by getting the fingers behind the front of the riser so you cannot "grab" at the bow. You have to really try to concentrate on not squeezing the grip, just let it roll away at the shot.

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I little trick to make sure you don`t grab your bow is take one of those double ended sharp toothpicks. Put the toothpick between your thumb and forefinger across in front of the riser . When you shoot if you grab the bow you it will hurt and maybe bleed. You will only poke yourself a couple times and there will be no more grabing the bow.

Bow Walker Guest

Vicious - but I like it. Positive reinforcement of proper technique! Sort of like the fish hook under your "package" with a line tied to your head in golf, eh?

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sealevel
    I little trick to make sure you don`t grab your bow is take one of those double ended sharp toothpicks. Put the toothpick between your thumb and forefinger across in front of the riser . When you shoot if you grab the bow you it will hurt and maybe bleed. You will only poke yourself a couple times and there will be no more grabing the bow.
    Never thought of a trick like that, but it sounds as though it would work. Sort of along the lines of 'no pain no gain'? I'll give it a try, thanks.