Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Instinctive shooting

Re: Traditional Instinctive shooting

Another example.........

If I gave you a baseball to hold, then instructed you to look to your right 10 yards and spy that shiny hub cap on your neighbours car, and to now throw the ball and center that hub cap, you could *probably* do it, the first time! without ever having done it before. Now, how do you suppose you managed to accomplish that? Brain / hand eye coordination, and INSTINCT, that's how. No aiming invloved, just automatic know-how.

Just to stir the pot .........

Compounds are like machines, precise and oh so consistent, the archer is the "operator".

Traditional is YOU. If you F-up the shot, it's you. If you make a great shot, it's YOU, which, is why I prefer the stick.

JMHO.

Come up to the Timothy lake (Lac la Hache)Traditional only shoot in July 21/22 There is A Number of Traditional Artists that can give all the advice, Good and of course some bad, that you want. Plus a Whole lot of Fun.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

BW,

You can have a look at www.recurves.com for different styles that Chekmate makes. It's a US site but probably has the most comprehensive selection listed on the 'net. The bows, of course, are currently made in Chilliwack.

CM doesn't have a website. But the bowyer was at the shoot on Sunday- he was the disreputable looking figure selling stuff out of his trunk.

There were enough CM products being shot at the Nanaimo shoot that you probably could have seen most of the line!

RC

Bow Walker Guest

Thanks for the link, Tuffy. I think I talked briefly with the bowyer - his name is Pat isn't it? He made the arrows that went with the arrow case I think.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 03-21-2007 at 09:24 AM.

If they live in BC, and they are shooting traditional, 90% of the time, they are shooting ChekMate.

JT

Thanks for the link, Tuffy. I think I talk briefly with the bowyer - his name is Pat isn't it? He made the arrows that went with the arrow case I think.
    No not Pat, but I'm guessing by Tuff's "disreputable" description that it was Mark.

Mark makes some fantastic bows. I think I have 5 or six at this point. I really only shoot one. The price is right too.

JT

Bow Walker Guest

I'm leaning towards a one piece recurve, about 58" - 60" with a 45 lb. - 47 lb. pull at 28"

I have no idea about wood types or string types for these bows - I'm just going by over all looks and appeal of the bow(s). So far it's an aesthetic appeal for me. I like the clean, not too bulky lines and looks of the one piece bows.

I've been told that recurves are the most 'forgiving' style of bow - as opposed to flat bows, or long bows.

Hopefully soon. If and when this comes together, I'd like to go over and see the 'factory' where the Checkmates are made. Anyone know if it's possible?

Hey BowWalker , If you wish phone me at 604 824 1493 regarding your last post .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Bow Walker Guest

greybark,
    Thanks. I'm not close to buying yet so I don't want to waste anyone's time - yet.

Soon, I hope.

Larry At Chek-Mate is the fella. They are in Burnaby. It takes 6 weeks to have your Bow Made, if there is not one available. You can Order your Bow with the woods you want and the Draw weight you wish. They Range from $272.00 for a plain Falcon to $400.00 for a Falcon Deluxe or Kings Pawn. The Take downs start at $400 and go Up. All Depends on the woods Used Of course.and How many Laminations on the Limbs and Riser.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.