Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Instinctive shooting

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Traditional Instinctive shooting

Wow, tons of good info here. As I have mentioned a time or two before, I an finding myself becoming more and more fascinated with Traditional archery - that doesn't mean that I'm giving up my wheels, gears, and pulleys though.

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    Wow, tons of good info here. As I have mentioned a time or two before, I an finding myself becoming more and more fascinated with Traditional archery - that doesn't mean that I'm giving up my wheels, gears, and pulleys though.
    I hope you don't give them up. How am I supposed to work towards beating you one day if you go and switch catagories, huh?
    Steve.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

Bowwalker. Read carefully what Tuffcity wrote. That is very good advice. Hope to see you shoot sometime.

Bow Walker Guest

Thanks for your replies. I can see that I've got a lot of practice ahead of me. I'm looking forward to it.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bochunk2000
    I hope you don't give them up. How am I supposed to work towards beating you one day if you go and switch catagories, huh?
    Steve.
    Nope - Hunter Unlimited is my class and I've no intention (as yet) of moving - except upward

Besides Steve, I'm not that good. Too spacey to concentrate for 20 targets. I must've been blonde under all this grey hair at one time.

Dan - Have you bought a traditional bow? J_T has been trying to get me to try it too. I agree those bows look great... art I tell yet its art!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Bow Walker Guest

At this point I'm still looking and trying different equipment. You might've seen me shooting a Horse bow at the first Vic Bowmen shoot?

It was interesting to say the least.

Bowwalker, next time you are up in Cowichan -- talk to Richard Kennet from Bucky's Sport Shop---he teaches recurve and long bow shooting twice a week all year long. He helped me with 'instinctive' shooting---I can't even remember exactly what he said -- but I know it worked! --g'luck -- another person to talk to is our club Prez!!! (Eric Walker---he shoots his 'old faithful' recurve bow awesomely! and has the records to prove it!)
    have fun!
    ~echo
    Last edited by echo; 03-18-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Two things That Ithink that are most important is,
    1. Anchor Point. For Me its three fingers Below, so it is the corner of my mouth. One thing to remember is with Trad is that your Draw Length is about an inch to 1 1/2 shorter Than a compound with a release
    2. Draw weight. don't over Bow your self. By that I mean dont figure that you need a 70lb bow that you can bearley pull back, and pulls the hell out of your shoulders. Try different Draw weights and find one that is Comfortable, But still has some Punch.

I'm 5'10 and 240lbs
    My bow is a
    Chek-mate Falcon Deluxe
    46lb@27 in
    I shoots woods 430 Gr.
    And It Kills Deer and Moose yery effectively, but Missed a Turkey in Cranbrook Last Fall .
    Last edited by Bigbear; 03-20-2007 at 10:25 AM.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

Bow Walker Guest

BB,
    Do you have a picture of your bow - or a link to the manufacturer?
    Dan.