Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swaro spotter post purchase update

Swaro spotter post purchase update

Well, I'm generally guilty of getting information from the website, without adding too much for other's benefit, so here goes... Of course these are my opinions based on my eyes, but hopefully it will be of help to someone.

I've wanted to purchase a swaro spotter for a long time, and you may remember a couple of posts a few months back asking for people's opinions on various aspects of the different versions available, primarily to do with eyepiece and angled or straight. I ended up buying the ATS65 HD with the wide angle 25-50 eyepiece. Having made a purchase and used it a bit, here are a few thoughts...

Firstly, if you're ever considering a purchase of a swaro product, get yourself to a hunting show and test them out. I hooked up with John the swaro sales rep at abbotsford earlier this year and his advice helped me seal the deal. I was able to put up the various models and compare them side by side, under the same conditions etc etc. very useful if you're a critic and very picky like myself.

You'll recall there was great debate here on the virtues of the higher power of the 20-60 eyepiece vs the wide angle 25-50. Most people were trying to say that the 60 power was a REQUIREMENT for times when trying to count tines or rings at long distance. I can tell you this is not true. The better clarity and brightness of the 50 outweighs the higher power of the 60. The 60 becomes quite dark at higher power, whereas the 50 does not. When you put them both at 50 power - the 25-50 wide angle is obviously superior as well. My concern however was more at the low end of the scale - thinking that the 20 power would be better for scanning and picking apart a hillside. Wrong again. The wide angle at 25 power actually has a larger field of view than the 20-60 at 20 power, and very noticeably so. So the result at the low end of the scale is that the wide angle eyepiece at lowest magnification has a wider field of view, is clearer, noticeably brighter, and obviously is at slightly higher magnification thus easier to pick apart a hillside for that hiding buck as compared to the 20-60... The last part about the eyepiece is that the 20-60 feels like you're looking through a tunnel, whereas the wide angle is much more comfortable (to my eye) thus resulting in less eye fatigue. No doubt in my mind that the wide angle eyepiece is worth the extra dollars.

Next, I went back and forth about straight vs angled before I purchased. I ended up purchasing the angled, and I'm glad I did. Many people previously mentioned that it's tough to aim the angled one, but I find it very easy. Much nicer on the neck for flat or uphill viewing, and downhill viewing is just fine too, given the ability to swivel the scope in the housing. Another advantage with the angled is the ability to glass from inside a vehicle on a window mount very comfortably, which is just not as easy with a straight scope. The only real disadvantage of the angled that I can find is in rain or snow (which I haven't used it in yet), there's the chance of water landing on the lens. Of course you can swivel the scope such that the eyepiece is not looking up at the rain, plus I tend to wear a ball cap most times I'm hunting, so I'm not too worried. We'll see.

Anyway - thanks to those who provided advice to my questions previously - your advice was appreciated. Obviously the swaro products are top end, and I don't think anyone would be disappointed in purchasing one. If anyone looking to make a similar purchase has any specific questions, feel free to pm me and I'll help out. In the end I made a great choice, and am very happy with the scope. thanks to everyone for all your advice.

cheers,
    Timberjack
    Last edited by Timberjack; 05-09-2014 at 09:41 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Swaro spotter post purchase update

Do you mind telling me what you paid for you 20x50 Ats 65hd?, Ive see them listed for 2650 at some big box stores...

Nice write up, sounds like your happy with your decesion. But i disagree on the zoom not being needed, have looked through a ziess with 75 zoom and it is better then my 60 swaro hands down.Very hot day, high might b a issue, but i have never not been wishing i had less zoom, but always want more. JMO

There will come a day that the extra 10x will come back to haunt you.

Quote Originally Posted by yama49 View Post
    Nice write up, sounds like your happy with your decesion. But i disagree on the zoom not being needed, have looked through a ziess with 75 zoom and it is better then my 60 swaro hands down.Very hot day, high might b a issue, but i have never not been wishing i had less zoom, but always want more. JMO
    I agree, I always want more power than 60. I wish swaro made a 75x zoom.

Well, each to their own. I found that side by side in the same conditions, both on max power, I was able to see greater detail with the 25-50 than with the 20-60. The 20-60 just got too dark to see fine details like a tine or rings on a ram. Anyway, I find I use my spotter way more at low power, and the wide angle was remarkably better in the lower end of the range...

But like I started out with, this is my opinion and nothing more. Cheers

TJ

I have the 20-60. If any day you want to switch because of the critics, I'll swap you
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Wondering why I have a Leica with 60 as I seldom can or do use it at 60..
    Dana says:"That isn't me braggin', that is just me stating a fact."

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1993ap View Post
    I agree, I always want more power than 60. I wish swaro made a 75x zoom.
    The new swarovski goes up to 70x with a 95 mm objective. Very impressive scope

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    The new swarovski goes up to 70x with a 95 mm objective. Very impressive scope
    but does that mean you have to buy a 95 mm objective scope?