Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does this make me a bad hunter...

Re: Does this make me a bad hunter...

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    pet deer? that's a cool pic....just a question why do you belong to a hunting forum if you don't hunt? Just curious is all I have nothing against people who don't like to kill things
    I have nothing against hunters, and I have nothing against hunting, I might hunt ducks in the fall.. Man I love smoked duck.. I'm not big on venison, that "game taste" turns me off. My SIL & Brother keep asking me "when are you going to go hunting for deer" they like venison.. I keep tellin them Deer season aint until the fall..

Curious; what is open right now on Vancouver Island, where can I find hunting regs, and what does a hunting license cost??

"Nature photography means different things to different people. But it is for all of us an acting-out of the instinctive urge to hunt and gather, even to claim territory" - Tim Fitzharris from National Audubon Society Guide to Nature Photography.

I identify with Fitzharris' statement in regard to my own photography. It feels very similar to many aspects of hunting. I have grown to deeply love both pursuits though I don't consider myself proficient at either yet.

I do not enjoy killing animals but growing up in the commercial fishing industry leaves very little room for anthropomorphism without feeling like a hypocrite. I don't think I always need to end with a kill to enjoy hunting, and I don't think the kill defines a hunter. I respect people who kill animals for their livelyhoods and to eat. I was raised to not kill anything I wasn't going to use. This doesn't give me any moral high ground over another person, it was what I was taught, so I act it out. I don't think it is always up to me to judge what is waste and what is not for another person. I am neither interested in vilifying wolves or saving bears. That isn't to say I don't have strong opinions about these animals. It depends on the context. What is the situation? What are my intentions? what is my agenda? It is almost always complex, it isn't rigid, it changes.

My recent experiences in the woods have taught me that there are no sides, no emotional attachments. Predators and prey are not friends or enemies, they don't have that luxury of time to consider this. They have to live in the moment and rely on their senses and opportunities to survive. There was a time when we needed to do this also. Reconnecting to this type of feeling is very powerful for me when I go into the woods. Arguing about the rights and/or abilities of user groups on the internet is about the furthest thing from connecting to that "moment" in nature which is why it isn't something I invest a lot of energy doing on this site. Hunter or non-hunter? Surely I am one more than the other only based on the situation?

Both photography and hunting have helped me to become more present and pay attentions to my senses in my day to day life. Hunting has giving me a deeper awareness of wind, photography has given me a deeper awareness of light. I consider these to be great gifts as I am someone who often gets caught up in my thoughts rather than grounded in my senses.

So to the OP I encourage you to shift your perspective when defining yourself as a hunter or non-hunter. Maybe you might find some room for yourself along this spectrum where you can explore both sides? Either way it is your journey and not my place to judge.

I think it's great that you shoot with a camera, I prefer a gun but if this gets your motor running good on you, just let the rest of us know were they are LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by fearnodeer View Post
    I think it's great that you shoot with a camera, I prefer a gun but if this gets your motor running good on you, just let the rest of us know were they are LOL.
    I currently own a Ruger Takedown .22 & a Mossberg Maverick 88, and I plan on buying more guns. I also own a Fuji HS20, a Nikon L24 & an Olympus Stylus 8000, and I plan on getting a Nikon D5200 soon.

Camera's are a hell of a lot more expensive hobby than most guns are.. The 5200 body + lens starts at $650. and then the lenses kill you a Nikkor 70mm to 200mm zoom lens is $1500, a 200mm to 400mm telephoto is $7500. and 400mm and up start at $15,000 and go up from there..