Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPOT...gps

SPOT...gps

if you don't have get one.... My truck broke down at 3:30 am this morning 50km into kootenay park outside radium. I thought what to do, i didn't want to start walking and leave all my gear. then realize my spot has been in the truck since november... maybe the batteries are dead maybe not...so i send a message to my gf but then start thinking she never checks her phone at the best of times so she is not checking at 4am...so i send one to my brother he's way better with the phone but its really early still... so I send one to a buddy who's always up really early and tell him to call my gf and brother....sure enough my brother came to the the rescue.... i was never in really danger could have started hitch hiking or waited for a parks truck.... but it was nice and reassuring to send out a spot and get an answer...truck made it home tonighti think its the wheel bearing should have it fixed tomorrow

2. Site Sponsor

Re: SPOT...gps

My spot 3 is set to ping my location every 10 mins. If I get injured and cannot press a button to call for help, I'm definitely late getting home. My wife then proceeds to log on the internet to see my movement, and the last known reported location. It makes for a great location to start the search. The Spot III stops sending your location if there is no movement. If it sits, it saves the battery. Now that's pretty good in my opinion. Of course bad things can always get worse, like you drop your spot, then 6 hours later you end up lost, then realize it's gone. Or say you get between a gizz and a cub and are attacked. Highly doubtful the bear is gonna take your spot GPS. You're out cold, unconscious and can't press a spot button to call for help. The spot ping-ed your last location 10 mins ago or less. Lets say the bear drags you a ways to bury you for a later meal. I've heard of this happening. Again, the last known spot GPS report is a great place to start a search. If you succumb to injuries, at least your loved ones can have some closure when S&R finds you. I highly recommend the Spot III.
    There are 4 buttons to pre-program. Any button I press also sends my GPS coordinates along with the message. My messages are:

1: Help. 911! Call S&R now!
    2. Call my close hunting buddies with my GPS co-ordinates. I need them for help, but not 911.
    3. Something happened, I'm fine. Gonna be late. Animal down or flat tire.
    4. Loving the outdoors, having a great time.
    Last edited by Kami; 05-07-2014 at 09:44 PM.

I have now had a I-Spot locator now for 6 years it goes with me where everywhere I go one day it might save my life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSvO9kTmLVI) message sent telling all contacts that I am ok..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 05-08-2014 at 05:14 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I have a SPOT. got it as a birthday gift from my wife and daughter.

Haven't tried it yet since I just got it this year. Will definitely take it out with me.

we use them at work as our check in system.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?

A little peace of mind for a great price. Got myself into a situation last fall that could've gone a few different ways. Just knowing I had my spot was enough to put my mind at ease, and let me stay in the right frame of mind to contemplate my options and make the right decision without freaking out. One bad decision can have lasting effects.

if you travel more than 1000 kms away from where you activated spot originally, make sure to turn it on and just leave it a bit (maybe 10 minutes) to recalibrate itself. Then turn it off and then on again before you attempt to send messages. Last year I was sending msgs from Argentina and although it appeared as if they were sent successfully, none have been sent. Customer service advised to 'recalibrate' and it solved the problem.

I don't leave home with out mine. It will save a life one day weather I'm snowmobile, boatin, hunting or quading.
    I have more then one friend get the heli ride after a spot distress call went out.
    Team Toyota
    Hoyt rampage xt
    husky 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by kilometers View Post
    I don't leave home with out mine. It will save a life one day .
    I was given a Cabela's gift certificate for christmas 3 years ago. Of all the things I could have purchased from them, SPOT was my choice. It stays in my hunting day pack along with all the other essentials. I won't leave home without it either.
    At work we have started using them, especially for remote areas where we don't have radio communication. Perfect for this. The other great thing is that the people who get your spot message get your GPS coordinates and they can open Googel Maps or satellite imagery to see exactly where you sent the message from.

So beware fellas.
    Dont send your OK check-in from the pub when you are checking in for work. A Help or SOS message from the pub is only allowed in the event of a cougar attack.
    Semper in excretum altum

Great when you can use them to let a loved one know you're ok, or will be delayed. Beyond normal check in's, I used my once to let my wife know I was ok, but going to be late when I got my truck stuck pretty bad. She knew I was ok and never worried for a second.

I have't had to nor do I wish to have to ever push that 911 button, but an awesome bit of technology for the small cost.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-09-2014 at 01:32 PM.