Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jerky Recipe...............friggin awesome!!

Re: Jerky Recipe...............friggin awesome!!

For us newbie smokers, will the time and temp (200 for 4 hours) work with venison? Do i use smoke the whole time or just part time?

you can use the smoke for as long as you want but cook time should be constant
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Awesome man thanks for the post, I have a few moose roasts I'm wanting to try and do some teriyaki jerky in the oven, seen in YouTube 175temp and rotate meat slices halfway through!?

I have about 5Lbs of deer slices marinating since last night and They'll be ready to rock in the smoker tomorrow morning... The only thing I'm not sure on is the cure. There's a lot of differences of opinions out there. In the event I decide to add some cure into the mix, Where the heck can I find Cure #1 in the Burnaby/Coquitlam area? My local tackle shop has some Teriyaki Flavoured "Cure", I guess that would do...
    Last edited by ZENYO; 01-29-2016 at 11:57 AM.

when using the cure you need to add it to the marinade when you first start it. It might be a moot point now that everything is ready for the smoker.
    I get my cure from a local butcher shop and as there are different types out there I follow the directions for use from the butcher for its use.

Use of cure is definitely a topic of discussion for both sides. Cure is used to inhibit bacterial growth in the smoking or dehydrating of meat products as when processing the time is long and the temperatures are low.

You need not use cure, its up to you. If you are using my recipe very likely the jerky wont last long anyways if you put it in the fridge and tell people its there.

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    Awesome man thanks for the post, I have a few moose roasts I'm wanting to try and do some teriyaki jerky in the oven, seen in YouTube 175temp and rotate meat slices halfway through!?
    processing in the oven will work but remember to crack the door on the oven to let the moisture out.
    Stick the handle of a wooden spoon in the door to stop it from closing all the way.

Isn't curing for the cooking process, not shelf life? or both? I thought the cure was for the 5 hours that it will spend at low heat.

My recipe...

2 Cups Soy Sauce
    2 Cups Teriyaki
    2 Cups Worcestershire
    2 Cups Apple Juice
    2 Tbsp. brown sugar

2 Tbsp. Honey
    1 Tbsp. garlic powder
    1/2 Tbsp. Table Salt
    1 Tbsp. coarse ground black pepper
    2 crushed Cloves fresh garlic.
    Chilli pepper for half of them...

Just Curious, If the cure is going to get mixed in with marinade and soak for 14 hours, does it make a difference if it wasn't added for at the begining? Will it not work because the salt and soy sauce has already taken care of some of the curing?

yes cure is mainly for the cookng and curing phase as it is a longer low temperature preparation.

I made this recipe a few weeks ago, it is friggin awesome!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!

If you are doing bear it must reach 165 degrees internal temperature to kill tric.
    Most dehydrator's won't do bear properly. It will have to be finished in the oven.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"