Thread: Regulatory issues in Lower Mainland (?)

Regulatory issues in Lower Mainland (?)

Hi Guys. My apologies if some of this has been covered in other posts.

For numerous reasons - health, work, family, other interests - I haven't hunted waterfowl in 20 years and I'd like to change that, not least of all so I can introduce my daughters to hunting.

We've recently moved in to the south Surrey area, bordering on the Nicomekl river and not far from some farmland that appears to be legal and permitted for waterfowl on the Fraser Valley Special Area map. Initial discussions with neighbours on the agricultural side of the road indicate that some are or might be persuaded to be willing to have hunters 'assist' with crop protection - at least during hunting season. This will involve making available some volunteer time to help with projects on the property (or properties) which should be a good lesson for my two (10 and 12 year old) daughters who are interested in hunting and shooting. We also have friends on hobby farms in the Langley area where similar arrangements have been suggested.

The question I have relates to additional regs in the area. Are their no-shoot zones in the area with roads, similar to the 400 metre no-shooting zones off highways in the Interior and Okanagan? With the small land sections in our area, I'm not sure that would leave much.

Also, are there other regulations in Surrey and Langley (Township) that could prohibit discharge of firearms even though these areas show as legal hunting?

Open to any other suggestions as well from those who are familiar with waterfowling in the Lower Mainland and have any obvious pitfalls I should avoid.

Thanks!

Steve

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Regulatory issues in Lower Mainland (?)

The 400 meter rule is for mostly selected roads and single projectile, you can find the roads and rules in the regs. A scatter gun with shot is not applicable for most of them. With a shotgun, you need to be 100 meters from a house, school, or building with occupants. Check the fraser valley hunting map for detailed areas where shooting is allowed and the docs you need.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    The 400 meter rule is for mostly selected roads and single projectile, you can find the roads and rules in the regs. A scatter gun with shot is not applicable for most of them. With a shotgun, you need to be 100 meters from a house, school, or building with occupants. Check the fraser valley hunting map for detailed areas where shooting is allowed and the docs you need.
    Also buildings housing Livestock.

You are going to be meeting up with Fowl Language now there's a waterfowl brain to pick lol
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll do some homework but that looks promising, and a great way to meet some new neighbours.
    Jim, I'll definitely ask Fowl for some input when I see him.

The girls are learning to shoot, we have a family membership out at Langley RGC and they both have taken to shotgunning way more enthusiastically than I expected so we'll all get some shooting practice in over the summer.

Steve

shoot a field often there, just follow the rules you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dale-j View Post
    Cool, thanks guys. I'll do some homework but that looks promising, and a great way to meet some new neighbours.
    Jim, I'll definitely ask Fowl for some input when I see him.

The girls are learning to shoot, we have a family membership out at Langley RGC and they both have taken to shotgunning way more enthusiastically than I expected so we'll all get some shooting practice in over the summer.

Steve
    Steve, if your daughters are interested in hunting, keep an eye out on here for a post about our (Delta Ladner) club's heritage days hunt. It's for kids 10-17 and we (especially me lol) would love to see some more girls come out! I grew up participating in it and it's loads of fun.
    My dad (Marsh Hawk on here), fowl language are mentors as well as Marsh Hawk Jr (my brother) and myself now that we're adults. Shoot any of us a message if you want more info or have any questions.

-Brianna

Good question. I live in that area as well and those fields are chalk full of duck all through-out fall.. Never tried to coerce someone myself, but I'm pretty handy so maybe a deal can be struck too! Wouldn't mind in some of those farms around ladner either near the ferry port. You can hunt the sea-walk, but the birds prefer the fields (or unfortunately 200 meters off shore). Worth a check out there too if you're so inclined.