Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: ATV vs Side by Side

Re: ATV vs Side by Side

Quote Originally Posted by khoffnbud View Post
    I can think of quite a few places I've been on my quad hunting that you would absolutely not get a sxs in.
    that goes both ways though...a sxs is better at side hilling and going straight up. Will also get through deeper mud holes without the winch if they are setup properly. Also the fact that you are strapped in with a roll cage means you are safer when doing gnarly hill climbs where you get bounced around going up and over rocks and such. I take me sxs places no quad can follow...
    Last edited by Darksith; 06-12-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    that goes both ways though...a sxs is better at side hilling and going straight up. Will also get through deeper mud holes without the winch if they are setup properly. Also the fact that you are strapped in with a roll cage means you are safer when doing gnarly hill climbs where you get bounced around going up and over rocks and such. I take me sxs places no quad can follow...
    Both ways for sure. I agree with the mudholes, but I've seen side by sides roll on hills where my quad didn't so I think it depends a lot on the skill of the rider. Being able to lean your body completely over the side, front or back of the quad while riding makes a big difference, but not a lot of quad riders use that to their advantage. There are some places I ride where I sure as hell wouldn't want to be strapped into a roll cage taking a 1000 foot roll down the mountain, but for your average roll over they are much safer.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

The quad you pick, and how you outfit it, makes a big difference in stability.

Heres a picture of my 2up 2012 Polaris 550x2, left vs friends Kodiak 450, right.

Both of us run 1" taller, 1" wider tires. My quad is noticeably wider, and with the approx 6" longer wheelbase, it's much more stable climbing or descending hills. It does high center more and is a bit tougher to manuver in the right tight trails.
    I installed full aluminum belly pan, so it slides over anything if hi centered.

The 550x2 makes his look like a junior quad.

Also riding 2up is much more safe on mine. When riding 1 up, I have a ton of storage in the rear dump box.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    The phrase not a chance applies to everything you just said but its personal preference right? take a quad and a sxs, both no winch, both stuck in mud hole......i'll actually have a shot of getting mine out by myself

The phrase not a chance applies to everything you just said but its personal preference right? take a quad and a sxs, both no winch, both stuck in mud hole......i'll actually have a shot of getting mine out by myself
    Spoken like someone who's never ridden with sxs's in ugly terrain....or real mud.
    Bigger/heavier/wide/longer machines will outperform smaller machines every time given drivers of comparable skill levels.
    Side by's will let people with lower riding ability get more places, safely, than they could've other wise on an atv.

The only limitation is the width of the machine when it comes to immovable objects.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastHunter View Post
    Hey everyone, just wondering as to what people prefer for hunting when it comes to these two options. Do you use an ATV or side by side, what make do you use, and what do you like and dislike about it? Maybe even post a picture? Just trying to do some research and decide on what I want.
    Definitely prefer ATV for riding in the bush.

I would go ATV or SxS over a Samurai or something else any day. Think of it this way... street legal is good until your 100km from home and break down. Atleast if its trailered out somewhere and you do break down you still have that option of hiking back to the truck to make it home.

I have a Rzr 800 and love it. Great for fun in the off season and hunting/camping trips. I take out my GF who also hunts and my son as well and the 2 seats is just so much better.

One thing lots of you keep saying is the quads are narrower than a SxS but most new big bore quads are right at that same 50" width as a Rzr 570 or 800. I got a roof and windshield too for those nasty days... beats the hell out of riding around absolutely soaked on a quad.

well why don't you just make up some more details that don't exist to make your point even better...no winch lol, wtf? I have a winch so thats a pretty irrelevant point. And if I don't have something to hook my winch onto I probably wouldn't bomb into a mud hole in the first place.

In the end though there are a few different variables that people tend to lean towards...quads are smaller, more versatile in the tight places, the sidekicks or samurai have heat...the SxS while more $ than the other 2 is a bridge between the 2. They offer more room in the cab than a samurai, more protection from the elements than a quad, and can be outfitted with heat and windshields and doors and whatever else you can dream of. The SxS costs more, but you will be more comfy when the weather isn't fun than a quad rider, maybe not quite compared to a vehicle though. If you are just comparing the ATV vs a SxS, the SxS will keep the weaker ones going while the quad will be for the tough determined ones when the weather gets cold and nasty. You can haul more gear with the SxS, but that doesn't mean that the quad is limiting you. SxS is a more social vehicle allowing you to visit with someone while you travel, it enables you to go with someone that otherwise wouldn't want to own or operate a quad but that comes at a price. I bought mine because my dad couldn't operate a quad safely (don't ask me why, but he kept crashing) and it allows me to take him with me on some fairly remote adventures and I am very confident (seen it with my own eyes) that if you take a rider or equal skill the SxS will win in almost every category, and only when you get into the pro level riders will you see the atv start to do things that the SxS can't. If you can afford a SxS you won't ever wish you bought a quad thats for sure. One thing I did after I got my SxS is I had to go buy a new to me truck with a long box so I could put the SxS in the back of the truck and still pull a travel trailer. Saves me having to load a trailer for the day trips too! Learned that after the fact though. I will never go back to a quad thats for sure. Steering wheel beats handle bars everytime, gas pedal wins over thumb throttle, windshield makes riding so much more comfy, seats keeps you from having to work too hard, and having my dad or son beside me riding shotgun allowing us to visit while we travel is the best advantage of all.
    Last edited by Darksith; 07-07-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

When I bought my Rhino I figured there would be places a quad could go that I couldn't. I haven't found one of these places and I've been looking since 2007. I am only 8" or one front ATV tire width wider than a larger quad so even most trails built for quads are doable. The only time I would prefer to be on a quad is when there is an outward lean to the spur/trail because I can lean my body weight to the uphill side and bail if things go bad. In my Rhino I feel trapped and I have scared myself a few times.

Where the SxS wins is travelling grown-in spurs. The brush that would be slapping you in the face and trying to push you off a quad is just folded out of the way by the cage.