Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ATV vs Side by Side

Re: ATV vs Side by Side

I couldn't decide what to buy so I bought two Polaris 800 sportsmans, (almost too big, gas mileage stinks) and then because where we go sometimes there are no atvs allowed I bought a minty 93 samurai. So if I can't make up my mind I'm bringing both with me on my next trip. Quads ride up on my truck and Sami fits nicely in my toy hauler.
    Keep in mind I rarely road hunt but only use them to get to my trailhead or cut block.( the only thing I need for the fall is a nanny to help out my wife, as kid #4 is due aug 15 and my oldest is only 6!)

Have you looked at the new rzr 570? It is only 50" wide the same as most full size quads but will carry you and your partner and a deer in the back. It is fuel injected and apparently its a rocket and can beat the 800. It will also slip under the 500kg weight restrictions on some of the northern trails with restrictions. It look like they will be going for around $11k.

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    It's a personal choice.Do your homework ,then decide?I-ve got a Polaris sportsman X2 because I always have a passenger.
    I have the same.
    Awesome quad.

Have you looked at the new Honda Pioneer? It has a lot of great features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6R8f0PAbkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQ0wipNZGw
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits"
    Thomas A. Edison

"Sometimes ya gotta let your dog find you"

its got no low range which makes it kinda useless for anything but golfing
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

when i was riding my 88 honda fourtrax 300, i got into way more place than my rubicon....smaller and lighter. but like others have said, its all personal preference and what you want to do with it

I think if you're an "off-road road hunter" then a SXS would be pretty comfy and the load capacity hard to beat. But if you really want to get off road then the ATV is superior. Anybody that claims a SXS or Sidekick will go anywhere a quad does, hasn't put it to the test.

But in the end, it only matters what you are going to use it for.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

mc dual sport for all those place a quad cant go or isn't allowed
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    I think if you're an "off-road road hunter" then a SXS would be pretty comfy and the load capacity hard to beat. But if you really want to get off road then the ATV is superior. Anybody that claims a SXS or Sidekick will go anywhere a quad does, hasn't put it to the test.

But in the end, it only matters what you are going to use it for.
    Well put! In the end no matter what mode of transport you choose, there will be advantages and disadvantages. l am old enough to appreciate my comforts and a SxS suits my needs nicely.... yep,there are quad trails l can't travel because of width, but not much a chain saw, shovel and winch won't resolve if its necessary, but l am very picky about what l call "necessary". Around the home stead, its a great machine for packing my tools and supplies which other wise would require a lot of walking, its capable of do a fair amount of work carrying over 1000 lbs. and pulling material, including my 3/4 ton up hill once. In the end, decide what you want out of it and purchase accordingly.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Lots to think about... maybe this year I build up a samurai in good condition, lift, tires, winch front and rear, racks, you know all of the goodies.... since it would be cheaper then a side by side, and follow it up with an atv some year after if necessary! A Samurai should get me many places a truck wont.. Yay or nay?