Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATV vs Side by Side

ATV vs Side by Side

Hey everyone, just wondering as to what people prefer for hunting when it comes to these two options. Do you use an ATV or side by side, what make do you use, and what do you like and dislike about it? Maybe even post a picture? Just trying to do some research and decide on what I want.

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: ATV vs Side by Side

ATV hands down. smaller, lighter, and can still pack out a whole moose on the racks. 2007 Honda Rubicon 500, and I wouldnt want anything bigger

it can even pack out goats...

Side by sides are great - creature comforts like roofs and doors go a long way to keeping you comfortable - dont let anyone tell you that you can't haul your meat out with it....

Deer

More deer

Bear

More deer

Last edited by Kudu; 04-22-2014 at 06:28 AM.

Are you talking about road hunting with it? Or for getting to a location. One thing I would strongly consider to make it a successful hunt is how many other people will be able to get this type of vehicle there, including old fat men. Also, are you willing to leave the machine and walk away from it for overnight or a weekend? My choice today would be a little samurai or tracker. Insured so I can leave it, and a roof over my head to stop the weather, as well as a heater. $2000 side by side that is done right.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I have an old Polaris

We also have a Yamaha golf cart we use for running around the back yard

And I have a built Jeep YJ

It all depends on what and where I'll be doing/going.

The polaris I'm smaller and quiker on really tight trails

The golf cart is only 2wd and I've got it stuck in the back yard but its the easiest to get in and out of. But not much for carrying anything big.

The Yj is great for longer distance, has heat, a windshield, a roof and removale doors, radio VHF radio, on board air compressor.. can tow a bigger trailer than the Polaris and can be street drive out of the bush down the road to the next location

I've gone places where anything bigger than an ATV would be a no go, even bigger ATVs would have a hard time.

Polaris Sportsman 500

One-third of the cost and a lot more nimble. I was surprised by the number of trails where my quad just squeaks through, and I've also had to duck or walk the thing under quite a few blow down trees and overgrown trails where the cage of the side by side would mean a few hours of chainsaw time.
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

Love my side by side. Hands down the best for hauling your gear and partner in and out. Little loud to road hunt out of but I've done it Jeep or the like is Way quieter. I once drove down a really steep bank to recover a moose hooked up the moose to the winch and dragged it out backwards up the steep embankment no way a quad could have done that it would have flipped.
    They are wider than a quad so won't fit on some trails and when they get stuck they're stuck mine is 1300 lbs you can't move it yourself

Something to think about.. maybe a samuri like mentioned by big board with a small lift is an option. But where do you put your game and gear. Gear in the hatch, game on the roof and hood? Like T-rexer said, a quad would have flipped from what was doable with a side by side. That is where I am a little stuck on what is best. I want something to take off the dirt road into trails and what not, and also be able to crawl through your usual debris in a cut block, fallen trees, rocks, etc...

It's a personal choice.Do your homework ,then decide?I-ve got a Polaris sportsman X2 because I always have a passenger.