Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I...

Re: Can I...

In my opinion schedule C animals can be taken at night.
    My rationale is the wording: "captured or killed" as opposed to "hunted".

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    I completely agree, there's lots to learn. But shooting in the dark at animals you can barely see let alone see where that bullet may end up is of prime concern to all people in the area. I'm not speaking down to the members post, just that fact that he felt the need to ask it here. All due to lack of instruction. And as with folks like yourself that successfully challenge the test, it should be a question on it at the very least.

I know in some places hunting at night is allowed, Australia is one place, but they are also allowed to use spot lamps so they can see their target. All of which isn't allowed here normally!
    Have you ever dived at night? When diving at night you become super concentrated on the area you can see in your light, that might only be one or two square meters, everything surrounding you is absolutely black.

The same thing happens when you shoot at night, your focus becomes super sensitive and to cull 100, 200 or even 300 animals a night becomes super safe, you want to shoot at close range (75m max) and with practise its very possible to place all your shots in exactly the area you aim for - remember there is nothing but blackness beyond your immediate focus so you don't get distracted.

I would imagine shooting schedule C animals in BC would be exactly the same, calling in Yotes or feral pigs under a red or green light would draw all of your attention onto the eyes, focusing through a scope at the animal would get the same results as I described above.

The thing here, (as with all hunting) is to know exactly where your weapon shoots, that is only achieved by spending loads of time behind it - driving round after round into paper - modifying and adjusting loads until you get the grouping consistent enough to know that you can place the bullet exactly where it is required to kill the animal quickly and cleanly.

Please don't knock night shooting - no one I know (who has done it) is a poacher of any sorts.
    Last edited by Kudu; 04-21-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Not knocking the activity, but currently it's not allowed here so there's no point in practicing.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

you cannot shoot at night in BC unless your a native....

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    could you please quote the legal text backing your statement?

Delete ...

I cant quote the regs right now but my understanding is that this is true for hunting at night but discharging of firearms at night would be regulated by municipalities. I could be very worng though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legi0n View Post
    could you please quote the legal text backing your statement?

Quote Originally Posted by itsy bitsy xj View Post
    Ok so now this has opened a can of worms... I now live on acreage in Langley, I am allowed to shoot coyotes to protect my live stock. I've checked with the RCMP and they confirmed that it is legal. I'm wondering if I can shoot the coyotes at night when they are most active??
    Livestock Act
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Legi0n View Post
    But from an academic point of view what trumps what?

I'm stirring the pot but regulations have to be clear enough for the average individual to understand if they're to be obeyed.
    So what trumps what? And why?
    I tjink you are on to someyhing. Schedule C animals aren't considered game , they are vermin.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    Imcorrect. Shooting at night is not regulated by BC law