Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaner ways to prepare bear meat?

Re: Leaner ways to prepare bear meat?

Great ideas guys! Hopefully I have a chance to try some out. You have me re-excited for bear now

I got my bear, so now I'm revisiting this thread. I tried a piece of backstrap grilled like steak and it was delicious so hopefully the rest is good too. Hung it for a week and just finished cutting and freezing last night. About half of it will be for roasts, grilling and half for grinding. I will probably pick up that book from Stuffers, sounds like a good place to start.

I have a craving for some jerky now, which usually has lots of salt and nitrates or whatever to preserve. But I'm wondering if I make sure to get the temp high enough during drying and then freeze until it's used, can I still get a couple days out of it after it's thawed? The lower moisture content would presumably allow it to remain at room temperature safely for a bit longer than regular meat? Thinking it would be nice when backpacking.

What about candying, using sugar instead of salt to preserve? Can't find much on this so assuming it's not a good option, but again we're talking a couple days not weeks in the cupboard.

Well, firstly, dietary fat has nothing to do with high cholesterol in your blood. I eat copius amounts of fat while on ketogenic diet, perhaps close to 200 grams a day. Recent blood work done shown all being close to ideal. So, think about your fitness routine, maybe it has to be upped a little. Also, check Canada Food Guide or any respectable basic nutrition guide. For a man of average built, there is about 70 gram of fat requirement, a day. You can cut it down, but remember that this is an ESSENTIAL nutrient. Your brain, your joints, hair, your hormone production - all need fat to work properly. Most doctors keep on repeating this beat up moronic mantra of "healthy" or "clean" diet, which was the mainstream of thought some 50 years ago.

I also save all the fat from black bear, as this is a reachest part packed with nutrients and vitamins. I slowly melt internal fat over a water bath, and can it for later use. Fat from the back will be salted and cured, just like pork lard. Not expecting anyone to try this, you really have to be at least part Russian to eat this stuff. Now, with sausage recipes I tried reduced fat versions, and it always turns out being dry and generally worse-tasting sausage. Fat in a sausage is for a good reason I guess.