Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoPro for recording hunting

GoPro for recording hunting

I was thinking about buying a gopro camera to record some of my hunts and was wondering if others have used one. My questions are:
    1. What would be a good one to use and is there much difference between the different models (I'm thinking about the black one but there are different black models to choose from).
    2. How would you attach it for hunting? Can it be stuck on a camo hat or would it sag and just film the ground?
    3. Do you keep it filming all the time or just when you see an animal and are ready to shoot (does it eat up video space quickly?)
    Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: GoPro for recording hunting

My buddy has the gopro silver. Its ok I guess. It get expensive to buy the accessories

I bought the drift ghost hd camera. In my opinion its alot better. Its got a builtin lcd screen. Its waterproof without a case. And u can rotate the lens so u can mount it in any position

Is it easy to take it from an ATV mount and then put it on your hat when you walk in the bush? Is there such a thing as a gun mount or has any one made one?

I like the Ghost S, the videos on you tube make it look better than a go poo. Cheaper than the Go Poo also.

ive got the silver, and found that if your farther than 15 or so yards from what your filming, you wont see it very well, very nice clear footage tho, all the mounts work very well, the head one is great, and the thing is water proof to 198 feet... if your into that haha

Quote Originally Posted by mikeboehm View Post
    I bought the drift ghost hd camera. In my opinion its alot better. Its got a builtin lcd screen. Its waterproof without a case. And u can rotate the lens so u can mount it in any position
    Do you like the remote control feature ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I prefer the VIO POV1 for quality shots, and just carry an Ikam for the everyday stuff.
    The VIO POV is easy to mount to anything. It has a "Loop" feature, it basically keeps a set time recording, around and around. If something happens and you want keep the clip, just push a button, and it will keep that recording and start another loop. Very easy to save memory and not get hours of crappy vid to edit through. It's very easu to check to make sure you have the camera "Aimed" where you want. It has a remote, and the unit is waterproof. You also have the option of a rechargable battery pack, or just use AA batteries.

Just another option for you to check out
    RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I prefer the VIO POV1 for quality shots, and just carry an Ikam for the everyday stuff.
    The VIO POV is easy to mount to anything. It has a "Loop" feature, it basically keeps a set time recording, around and around. If something happens and you want keep the clip, just push a button, and it will keep that recording and start another loop. Very easy to save memory and not get hours of crappy vid to edit through. It's very easu to check to make sure you have the camera "Aimed" where you want. It has a remote, and the unit is waterproof. You also have the option of a rechargable battery pack, or just use AA batteries.

Just another option for you to check out
    RD
    The loop feature looks like a good feature. How long does it record before it starts to loop over again? What is the battery life like?
    Appreciate the comments!

Heres some footage from a drift 170hd, only complaint is battery life.. Might b a lot better now, as this camera is a few years old now.

Quote Originally Posted by yama49 View Post
    Heres some footage from a drift 170hd, only complaint is battery life.. Might b a lot better now, as this camera is a few years old now.
    How do you carry the camera? Hunters don't wear helmets and there's no special Horse mount hardware lol.
    I would think that on a pack in hunt battery charging would be problem.