Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GoPro for recording hunting

Re: GoPro for recording hunting

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black. There are some differences between the silver/black but I forget what they were... You can tether it to your iphone or android device and control everything from there from up to 50 yards or so line-of-sight... This would make it very handy for treestand hunters or guys hunting from fixed positions that could setup a camera on approach and stop/start footage with a touch of a button. Mount to a riverboat from a cool angle near the waterline, on an ATV, front of your truck, front of your airplane, and control it all from the phone.

It will also do looping and time lapse sequences as well and this is where tethering to your phone comes in handy because you can control everything with a touch screen, it's a pretty simple interface.

There are a plethora of mounts and mounting systems for the GoPro such as tripod mounts, adhesive mounts, clamp mounts (I have a clamp one it's awesome). With the case on it's waterproof and rated to 197'... deeper than I'll ever go.

It's very small which is ideal for guys backpacking and the fisheye wide-angle lens can really capture the high country.

Downside.... No Zoom, large file sizes, no way to really watch your footage either without access to a pc or tv.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Quote Originally Posted by high and to the right View Post
    The loop feature looks like a good feature. How long does it record before it starts to loop over again? What is the battery life like?
    Appreciate the comments!
    I don't remember how many options there are, it's something like 3min, or 5min, or 10min, or 15min, ect.
    Alkaline batteries will give about 6-7hrs of RECORD time. Idle time is much longer.

Here is Helmetcameracentrals review. There are 3 models available now, I have the VIO POV1 and the POV HD. I just have the Cam Heads mounted on a headband. They come with a number of different types of mounts, but not the actual headband

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2007/...RecordingModes

This clip shows a number of different conditions, including AATV'ing, Boating/Seadooing, Flying, Feather Hunting, fishing, Sailing, Kayaking, shooting, Fiddling, ect

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

My drift battery last over 3 hours on a full charge. The remote feature works good. The ghost s is the newer version. I bought mine from these guys http://www.launchhelmetcams.ca/drift/

The drift camera is waterproof without a case and the sound is far superior to a go pro

Quote Originally Posted by high and to the right View Post
    How do you carry the camera? Hunters don't wear helmets and there's no special Horse mount hardware lol.
    I would think that on a pack in hunt battery charging would be problem.
    They make a head strap like wearing a headlamp, didnt even know it was on.. Charging is going b a prob with anything on a pack in, because of weight IMO

I scratched the lens bubble on the case for mine. Anyone know where to buy another bubble?

charging can be done with a compact solar charger , check the output ratings , some are slower than others.
    Drift have a loop function and dash mounts.
    Last edited by boxhitch; 04-20-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole