Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questionable spot to fish for dinner

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

questionable spot to fish for dinner

I drive along the highway east of Mission quite often, going by Hatzic (septic tank) Lake.
    Today as I went past I counted 9 vehicles parked by the Lake and noticed at least a dozen individuals fishing the lake from the shore. That part of the lake system is basically a very shallow and muddy channel that's crowded with cabins of all sorts on level island land only a couple of feet above water level. When 2 of my brothers lived at the other end of that island by the main part of the lake, the bacterial count was so high everyone was advised to keep out of the water. Although I've not seen any advisories against eating fish from that water system, especially bottom feeders such as carp, I personally won't try it. Has anyone kept and eaten fish from there lately?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: questionable spot to fish for dinner

I would like to know as well, as I am planning to get some with the bow this summer. Gonna try in the pit marshes too.

I generally don't bonk fish on lakes with cabins/summer homes.Do you know what these people eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    I would like to know as well, as I am planning to get some with the bow this summer. Gonna try in the pit marshes too.
    Lots of carp in parts of the march when the water rises. We used to canoe up the shallow fingers, especially if they had dead ends, and the carp would flee in front of us and then bury themselves in the mud. We would feel along with our hands and grab them. Some were huge. Bowfishing for them would be great.

Ya, I have seen some pretty monstrous carp in those marshes... I'm chomping at the bit to get the spool on my bow and get out there.

I wouldn't eat a carp, chub or sucker at the best of times, make great crab bait though.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I go by quite often, can be entertaining seeing the umbrella city down there they set up. Can't imagine eating one of those carp for dinner bet I guess I cant knock it till I try it. Perhaps I will roll a bbq down with a case of beer and tell em to fire one up.

Wentrot.

Beer and barbecue and watching them eat carp.
    I am all over that I will dcome down for 1 or 8 and enjoy the show.

Went by there today at about 10:30 am and there were 15 vehicles parked along the hwy. On the west side there is a private property sign but it doesn't seem to deter some of them.

Smoked carp is considered a delicacy in some places. I've eaten it and it wasn't half bad - but I guess you could smoke an old tire and it probably wouldn't be half bad either.
    To warm barrels and cold noses