Thread: Abu Garcia Ambassadeur round baitcast reels changed?

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur round baitcast reels changed?

Today I had in my hands an Abu Garcia ambassadeur 6601 C4 from a local big box retailer. I already own this reel, and am very happy with the one I have. I want another just like it because mine is missing some parts. This new one seemed like it's a cheaper version of my 5 year old one.

The logo isn't gold colored like mine (not that it's a deal breaker) but there's subtle changes, the plastics feel and look a bit different. I'm wondering why the change, I walked away from it until I can research it a bit more for potential problems, and hopefully find an old stock one somewhere.

It feels like a Chinese knockoff, but it says Made In Sweden like the old one.

Any insight on what happened?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Abu Garcia Ambassadeur round baitcast reels changed?

If you can find one, pick up a record. Its a little bit heavier model. Heavy enough for big springs but still light enough for socks and everything in between.

I was looking at thema couple weeks ago and kind of thought the same, I spent a little more and bought a Calcutta it's sitting on my rod like a glorious gold nugget waiting to catch its first fish...

I picked up a new 6500 a few weeks ago and the only complaint I have with it is the drag isn't as tight as they used to be, other than that I find it as good as the older ones
    "I have killed two people since midnight, I haven's slept in 24 hours. So maybe... maybe you should be a little more afraid of me then you are right now"

"Hunting is more than a sport and more than a job; hunting is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime."

I love my ABU's 6500, 7000, but anything I have seen pre 85 is crap. look online and break down the serial, it's on the bottom of the reel seat. Bushing or bearing is the real difference.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

I found a few on ebay. I see lots posted as new for 2014, and a few as "vintage", I might go with a record, for the bigger spool and the slower line retrieve. I don't like the C3 series casting switch that's why I like the C4's to begin with.

Thanks for the insight.

I bought a new 6500C3 last year and mine is as solid as a rock. My logo is gold.

Just saw some at Walmart in a bubble pack located in the fishing area. I too thought they were the original ones that we all love but the ones at Walmart are the Ambassadeur S series. Most of us probably have the C4 or C3 series. When looking it up I noticed right away the 'S" series has only 2 ball bearing while the other ones have the either 4 (C4) or 3 (C3) ball bearings. Their price is 79.97 and is a lower end model.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I found an old new one locally. It cost me a bit more, but that's how it goes with small business. I was happy to find it.

ya that's probably why mine seems to slip I couldn't find a c3,c4 and had to settle with the S because it was the only one I could find and the price was right
    "I have killed two people since midnight, I haven's slept in 24 hours. So maybe... maybe you should be a little more afraid of me then you are right now"

"Hunting is more than a sport and more than a job; hunting is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime."