Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 of 5 Actions Tested... Student's Choice?

Hybrid View

2 of 5 Actions Tested... Student's Choice?

Quick question for the firearms handling portion of the CORE examination. The book states "2 of 5 actions".

My question is, does the student get to choose the 2 actions, or does the examiner?

In other words, does your 10-year-old kid have to be proficient at all 5 actions in order to have a chance at passing the CORE?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 of 5 Actions Tested... Student's Choice?

They usually "draw" the choices of actions. Students need to know all actions and these should be covered in the course.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    They usually "draw" the choices of actions. Students need to know all actions and these should be covered in the course.

SSS
    That's unfortunate. I guess my daughter will have to wait a few more years. There's no way she can safely work a full-sized lever action, semi, or pump.

Quote Originally Posted by hare_assassin View Post
    That's unfortunate. I guess my daughter will have to wait a few more years. There's no way she can safely work a full-sized lever action, semi, or pump.
    She probably couldn't handle a full size P14 Enfield or a Stevens 12 ga double with 30" barrels either. There are 'kid size' leavers, pumps and semi autos as well as bolts and breaks that she can learn to handle safely. I'm sure the instructor isn't going to give her a gun she can't keep both ends of off the ground at the same time.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    She probably couldn't handle a full size P14 Enfield or a Stevens 12 ga double with 30" barrels either. There are 'kid size' leavers, pumps and semi autos as well as bolts and breaks that she can learn to handle safely. I'm sure the instructor isn't going to give her a gun she can't keep both ends of off the ground at the same time.
    Well, I guess I need to re-mortgage my house so I can go out and buy all those kid-sized guns, and then pray that you are right that the instructor will have an array of disabled, kid-sized guns for her to be tested on.

Or, just wait a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by hare_assassin View Post
    Well, I guess I need to re-mortgage my house so I can go out and buy all those kid-sized guns, and then pray that you are right that the instructor will have an array of disabled, kid-sized guns for her to be tested on.

Or, just wait a couple years.
    OR go to the local gun store I'm sure if you explain your situation they will let he handle them, try your local gun club as well there are probably good people around that will help you out remember she's taking the COURSE not challenging the test so she will be instructed. My point was there are guns of all actions and configerations that are to big for a child to handle, they are not going to give her something she can't safely handle no need to get snarky.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

No ... at ten years old and a good mentor by her side, if she was failed , that would be BS

Were not trying to turn her lose with a gun here ... were trying to get her a buck

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    No ... at ten years old and a good mentor by her side, if she was failed , that would be BS

Were not trying to turn her lose with a gun here ... were trying to get her a buck
    Then she should be able to choose the actions. She's comfortable with youth-sized bolts and break-action, and that's all I'll ask her to use until she grows more.

If someone handed her anything else, she'd refuse to handle it, and I think that is for the best.

instructor picks for you. that's how they did mine for my PAL. I got to skip the firearms portion for the CORE.

Quote Originally Posted by quaint bucket View Post
    instructor picks for you. that's how they did mine for my PAL. I got to skip the firearms portion for the CORE.
    We aren't talking about PAL. We are talking about CORE.

I had to know all the actions for PAL, too. That makes sense, because I can go buy any action I want. I should be familiar with them all.

For my tiny daughter, I think it is stupid that the instructor can hand her any 2 of the 5 actions and she has to be able to safely operate them.

The only time she'll be handed those actions is during the test.