Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mourning Dove

Re: Mourning Dove

Not sure about the squeaky hinge thing but their call is "Who...Whowho..Who over and over again
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Way Beyond Hope...and Billie's Puddle...and Prince...

I believe that the bird many on here are calling Ringneck Dove are likely the Eurasian Collared-Dove, a non-native species that is spreading across North America. They originated in India, and look similar to the Ringed Turtle-Dove, but are much larger. Possibly the confusion with the name comes from the name of a more familiar game bird, the Ring-necked Pheasant.

Upon further research and talk with bird raisers I know, I believe you may be right. When I first spotted them I assumed they were Ringnecks as I had seen many being raised by bird fanciers who I buy pigeons for training. But after doing some more checking the call of these birds is like that of the Collared dove so my appologies for the wrong info. The name Ringneck Dove however is indeed the name of the second species and not a mistake of the Ringneck pheasant. This info page from a bird raising friend of mine http://www.dovepage.com/species/dome...gneckdove.html True name aside they will still be known as the "Dreaded Who Who" around these parts lol
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    heard this really loud noise that went on for about a half hour last night. around 03:00 "whoooo whooo" followed by a really odd sound I would describe as a "squeaky hinge". Is that the sound of these birds?
    At 0300h? It most likely was captain Blackbeard with his wooden leg and an owl on his shoulder

hear some sounds here

It sounded like this one: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/E...llared-Dove/id
    but a really awefull screeching noise. I thought maybe it was some kind of mating sound or something. It did sound like 2 birds. one was making one noise, the other was screeching. I checked owl sounds, couldn't find anything similar to what I heard.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

no more who whoing these peddlers

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    no more who whoing these peddlers
    Retrieving dummies at their finest
    "BORN TO HUNT"

That squeaky hinge sound was probably BUCK NASH trying to open the screen door to get his pellet gun out to take a shot. Steve!!

Hey, today there were a few in the yard, and in the neighbors yard eating bugs or whatever. One of them was up in a tree prolly 20 feet of the ground. It starting cooing or whatever you want to call the noise. I have figured out how to make that noise by blowing into my hands through the thumbs.. like when you stick a blade of grass in there.. but it sounds just like the birds.
    Anyway... the bird made its noise 3 times, then I made the noise 3 times.. it flew right toward me.
    My wife said "holy shit! that worked!"
    she's been irritated with me trying to mimic the call for the last few days.. now I've got it lmao!
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Now if we could only get ducks to sit in trees so I could practice that as well......