Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schedule C - Rabbit Hunting - Parksville Area

Re: Schedule C - Rabbit Hunting - Parksville Area

Quote Originally Posted by Livewire322 View Post
    Also you need to check the local bylaws with regards to discharging a firearm. Sometimes the bylaws cover air guns as well as firearms.
    A airgun IS classed as firearm when used for hunting. So if there is a no firearms discharge it includes airguns when hunting .
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Around here (kamloops) right at first light and just before dark the rabbits forage the road edges eating the clover and dandelions,,,,,find yourself a few fairly secluded logging roads,,,,every time you catch a glimps of one remember that spot,,,it will give you a starting point to stalk them in the brush,,,,,your .22 (495fps) will do just fine ONLY with head shots,,30 yards max,,,,,,I hunt alot of small game with a Benjamin trail .22 nitro piston and have it zeroed at 25 yards .5" groups,,,,,just remember to take your time and don't rush your shots,,,,if you miss an opertunity of a clean shot,,the bunny will be there for another day,,,as far as starlings,,I keep the feathers off them,,,I tie my own fishing flies so nothing goes to waste,,anyways,good luck,and happy stalking
    Aim small,,miss small

A lot of these logging roads seem to end at a gate and the road extends beyond the gate but there is usually a "Private Property" sign posted by the logging company.

When people mention logging roads, do they just walk past these gates (I believe its not necessarily legal to hunt on Private Property without permission) or do they simply just walk up and down the roads without crossing gated boundaries.?

Thanks all, great advice so far.

I will reiterate my earlier comment. Perhaps you should take your core course. You will learn about the regulations and the legalities of hunting on private property
    Last edited by john.b; 04-05-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Yes,,,highly recommend the core
    Aim small,,miss small

Hold off; get your CORE. I find the best bunny hunting is in August and September when there are lots of young dumb bunnies around. Most areas near town, such as Nanaimo and Parksville, require that you use a shotgun with shot or a bow. Unfortunately, an air rifle is not allowed for bunny hunting in many areas around Parksville.

Blitz,

Welcome aboard. Walking the woods with a gun or a bow is one of life's treasures.

I agree with the others that have suggested a PAL and a CORE. You'll enjoy yourself way more when you are packing enough gun and when you are 100% conversant with the regulations surrounding the hobby.

In my experience grouse are much easier to hunt than rabbits but a .22 will serve you well there too.

You are in for some good times. Good luck with the PAL and CORE.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

A 495 fps air gun might be good for sparrows but that's it.
    you will do a lot of wounding if you use it for game.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Hello all.

I purchased a Crosman Phantom .22 Caliber Airgun which is rated at 495 FPS a few months ago and have been doing target practice quite regularly since obtaining it. I haven't used a scope and my aim at this point is great so I feel ready to head out into the bush.

I do not have a hunting license so I am looking for Schedule C animals, mainly Cottontail or European Rabbits because they can be eaten.

I am not opposed at going for European Starlings or Gray Squirrels as well for some live target practice.

I read every single thread on here related to this and still could not locate any myself.

I drove up behind Errington up to a logging road fence. I walked throughout the bushes, and along the logging roads.

I did not see anything at all. But I am also unsure exactly of what I should be doing. (IE. Scaring them out of the brush etc). I would prefer not to have to make a shot at a running rabbit until I have done some mainly stationary hunting first because being ethical is important to me and I have not had much practice shooting moving targets as well.

Could somebody please help me with somewhere I could find some Rabbits around Parksville / Nanaimo / Qualicum Beach?

Also, if there is a place for the Starlings that is bountiful, please let me know as well.

A lot of posts say "this logging road behind here" but nobody is clear on specific locations (It seems, and I understand, people want them to be kept secret). Please private message me if you prefer. I definitely won't divulge any locations entrusted to me.

Thank you so much for any assistance

Also, I feel kind of strange walking down the road carrying a long rifle. I worry that somebody would call the police on me or people walking their dogs etc. I am quite sure I am well without the city limits and it is allowed, but I guess it is new to me so still a bit nervous. Is this an issue?
    Don't waste those, that's some good eating right there, squirrel, gravy and biscuits but like others have said you probably need a bigger gun, those little boogers are hard to kill.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Have a browse through these excellent video's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnUYigirgc
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF