Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schedule C - Rabbit Hunting - Parksville Area

Schedule C - Rabbit Hunting - Parksville Area

Hello all.

I purchased a Crosman Phantom .22 Caliber Airgun which is rated at 495 FPS a few months ago and have been doing target practice quite regularly since obtaining it. I haven't used a scope and my aim at this point is great so I feel ready to head out into the bush.

I do not have a hunting license so I am looking for Schedule C animals, mainly Cottontail or European Rabbits because they can be eaten.

I am not opposed at going for European Starlings or Gray Squirrels as well for some live target practice.

I read every single thread on here related to this and still could not locate any myself.

I drove up behind Errington up to a logging road fence. I walked throughout the bushes, and along the logging roads.

I did not see anything at all. But I am also unsure exactly of what I should be doing. (IE. Scaring them out of the brush etc). I would prefer not to have to make a shot at a running rabbit until I have done some mainly stationary hunting first because being ethical is important to me and I have not had much practice shooting moving targets as well.

Could somebody please help me with somewhere I could find some Rabbits around Parksville / Nanaimo / Qualicum Beach?

Also, if there is a place for the Starlings that is bountiful, please let me know as well.

A lot of posts say "this logging road behind here" but nobody is clear on specific locations (It seems, and I understand, people want them to be kept secret). Please private message me if you prefer. I definitely won't divulge any locations entrusted to me.

Thank you so much for any assistance

Also, I feel kind of strange walking down the road carrying a long rifle. I worry that somebody would call the police on me or people walking their dogs etc. I am quite sure I am well without the city limits and it is allowed, but I guess it is new to me so still a bit nervous. Is this an issue?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Schedule C - Rabbit Hunting - Parksville Area

I would suggest and this is just my opinion, that you hold off and keep practicing with your airgun. Take the hunters course, get your PAL and buy yourself a cheap .22. You have lots of time to get this done prior to the fall hunting season, because of all your off season practice, no grouse will be safe!

Even if the 495fps is legal to take a schedule C critter, and I dont know that it is, I am not sure if it has enough horse power for a clean kill, especially a rabbit. Its your first post so I am not going to flame you for the "live target practice" comment but I think we owe to the animals we take to make a clean ethical kill, practice is what the range and paper targets are for.

As for locations, half the fun is finding your own honey hole. Get your license, get some regs and a map book then your off the the races.

And don't worry about walking around with a gun if your being safe and its legal to do so!

Welcome to HBC
    KCCO

Yes welcome aboard. I would have to say I agree with rhyno.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Even if the 495fps is legal to take a schedule C critter, and I dont know that it is, I am not sure if it has enough horse power for a clean kill, especially a rabbit. Its your first post so I am not going to flame you for the "live target practice" comment but I think we owe to the animals we take to make a clean ethical kill, practice is what the range and paper targets are for.
    I had read things that led me to believe otherwise, however if the general consensus is that it will not do the job properly, then I fully agree. I'm a strong lover of animals so hunting humanely is very important. I had a very negative view of hunting up until about a year ago and started looking into it more in depth so I definitely do not want to go out there and hurt something due to the shot not being powerful enough.

Head shots and they will die. Target practice on schedual c animals is fine that's why they are schedual c

I tried a 495fps and you really have to be close and at the right angle. I agree with rhino. Birds are another story. Killed many with a pellet gun. Was a177 though.

Well I have my PAL coming up shortly so I feel better holding off on Rabbits until that point. I still wouldn't mind some pointers in terms of scouting them out.

I headed out to Vipond last night just to walk around a bit but didn't see any of them.

Are there any good areas where I can shoot legally some of the Schedule C invasive bird species? I bolded my interests.

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC. Schedule "C" birds may be hunted using electronic calls. You do not need a hunting licence to hunt or kill the following Schedule "C" wildlife:

(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
    (b) Rana clamitans - green frog
    (c) all species of the family Chelydridae - snapping turtles
    (d) Didelphis virginiana - North American opossum
    (e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
    (f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
    (g) Myocastor coypus - nutria
    (h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels
    (i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
    (j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling

(k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic pigeon)

Why dont you go take your CORE course and get your hunting license. You can still hunt schedule c after that but you will have a greater idea of identifying what you are shooting. Pm me and I can put you in contact with a great core instructor

Also you need to check the local bylaws with regards to discharging a firearm. Sometimes the bylaws cover air guns as well as firearms.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I would not use a 495fps air rifle. I used to have a 1000fps Benjamin Legacy which would do the trick, but you are really gambling with only injuring the animal at the lower speed. You don't want limping rabbits or ones with a disfigured face hopping into some childs front yard.

As for the city limits, look online for a copy of the map or go in to your city hall and ask.