Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Bag Limit on Hares Today!

Re: Another Bag Limit on Hares Today!

You should make and sell jackalopes.

Thats cool ...what type of fire power are you using on the hares...we ate alot of the ones from the farm we raised when we were kids...the ones your getting I bet are tastey!!!!

Pretty jealous of you right now; awesome job. All I have to work with on the south island right now, food-varmint-wise, are eastern cottontails, and the non-urban ones that you can actually hunt, are pretty much inactive during legal shooting hours.

The lynx must just absolutely hate you!!

Congrats again!!! You've certainly earned your username.

I'm hoping to limit out on Stone's Sheep this yr. A guy can dream..............................

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    You gonna use the pelts to make a goat decoy? Nice shooting!
    Me? ... you're giving me ideas

Great work there HARE ASSASIN.Cool pics as well.YOUDAMAN!Wondering what's next??3 FOR 3? You can do it!!
    Last edited by markomoose; 03-30-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Great work again! How slow are you walking? I find I go pretty slow but my snowshoes are still makin a bit o noise and I rarely rarely see em..

Quote Originally Posted by islander7mm View Post
    Awesome work. I liked your YouTube video on field dressing your hares. 22 mag does the job.
    Thanks! I really want to put a rig together to record the hunting and shooting. I might try out an "iScope" but they are pricey. I love my 22 magnum. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post
    wow that's awesome! and the season is not even over yet, 4 more weekends to go
    I couldn't believe that this is the second bag limit in a row, to be honest, but it seems I really do have the little buggers figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Congratulations! I like the photos too.
    Thank you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    I'm just glad someone is killing something Ha. Here we live in the best place in the world to hunt, and Ha is poised in the off season taking down mad hare. Good for you. Hate to see when you change your name to sheep assassin. Good hare season man. I've yet to even shoot one hare. Are you going bald or something? Why the desire for so much hare?
    Hehehee. Well, if I had shot one more deer or lucked into a spike/fork moose, there wouldn't be so much need for hares. We only eat game in this house, and we only have about 12 meals of deer left, so the more hares I put in the freezer, the better. Plus, I just LOVE to get out there and shoot hares. One of my favourite things to hunt. I feel like a real predator out there, and I have the whole place to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BearSupreme View Post
    Thats awesome! Ive never seen a hare during the day, I usually seem them on my drive back from hunting. Wish I had those hunting opportunities id be out a lot more in the winter!
    In the fall I mostly see them at dusk and dawn, along the edges of the FSRs. That's when I hunt them at that time of the year. In winter, I usually find mid-day excellent. I do realize how lucky I am to have access to this much opportunity in the winter. I figure the best way to show that is to take full advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    Nice shootin. You're on your way to a harey tuxedo there.
    Cheers! I need to learn how to preserv the hide. It is so damed delicate that it would be a finnicky process, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    You gonna use the pelts to make a goat decoy? Nice shooting!
    I haven't used the pelts at all (see above answer), but I do keep the back feet and preserve them. I have dozens and dozens now...

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    You should make and sell jackalopes.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Thats cool ...what type of fire power are you using on the hares...we ate alot of the ones from the farm we raised when we were kids...the ones your getting I bet are tastey!!!!
    .22WMR. Yes, they are very tastey! We just had my parents over to feast on a bunch of braised thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by seizuresalad View Post
    Pretty jealous of you right now; awesome job. All I have to work with on the south island right now, food-varmint-wise, are eastern cottontails, and the non-urban ones that you can actually hunt, are pretty much inactive during legal shooting hours.
    I have never hunted any other lagomorphs, but I do know they each have their distict behaviours and unique challenges. Maybe some Beagles would be the ticket for cottontails.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    The lynx must just absolutely hate you!!

Congrats again!!! You've certainly earned your username.

I'm hoping to limit out on Stone's Sheep this yr. A guy can dream..............................

SSS
    Thanks! I have seen lynx tracks in the area the odd time. Something tells me they are just a bit better at killing hares than I am , and with the amount of hares in the area, I don't think the lynx are going to go hungry any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Great work there HARE ASSASIN.Cool pics as well.YOUDAMAN!Wondering what's next??3 FOR 3? You can do it!!
    Thank you! I'll give it my best "shot". Hoping to go again next weekend, but I might even try to sneak out of work early this week for an afternoon hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Great work again! How slow are you walking? I find I go pretty slow but my snowshoes are still makin a bit o noise and I rarely rarely see em..
    Cheers! I'm moving along fairly slowly. 5 or 6 steps, stop, look around everywhere, 8 or 10 steps, look around more, etc. etc. In 3.5 hours I might only cover 4 or 5 km, total, including the trip back to the truck. I've mapped it out afterwards with my GPS to confirm it. My snowshoes make a lot of noise regardless of how slow I go. The noise must be a factor, and I do see the odd hare as it bolts away at high speed at a distance because it heard me coming. But for every runner there seem to be 2 or 3 that just sit there and wait to be shot. One thing I have learned; if you see one, just shoot it - don't try to get closer.

You know,, If i was near that kind of shooting id be out all the time!
    So your just walking a snowed in FSR?

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    You know,, If i was near that kind of shooting id be out all the time!
    So your just walking a snowed in FSR?
    The snowed-in FSR is my main route in and out, and sometimes I nail a few right from the road (as in my example above) but I find many more when I get off the road and into border areas between older growth with big deadfall and 3-4 metre conifer regrowth. If there is some youngish aspen grove and areas of thickets close by, even better. They seem to like areas that have the best of all habitats easily accessible for changing conditions. On some days, they are highly concentrated around aspen groves, other days they huddle down in under the conifer boughs. Areas that have all these micro-habitats will pretty-much always result in a decent harvest. In fact, they seem to move around from one type of habitat to the next even in the same day. For example, on Saturday morning I shot most of them in and around conifer re-growth. Eventually, though, it seemed that they had "disappeared". I went a long time without seeing one. So I switched things up and headed for a young aspen grove with some older dead-fall. Right away there were hares; a few runners. Then bang, bang, bang, bang, I shot the last 4 hares of my daily limit within about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by hare_assassin; 03-31-2014 at 09:39 AM.