Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another Bag Limit on Hares Today!

Re: Another Bag Limit on Hares Today!

I dont know? for all I know it was an escaped domestic pet........ But it certainly was big.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

probably a spike jackalope, those big ears hide the spikes until they hit 4 pts

HA, you've got me thinking I may need to do some research on what area, closest to the lower mainland, I might be able to hit for a walk in the woods and some meat harvesting. I just realized this season, unlike deer season, continues on for way longer.
    What pointers can you give WRT finding good areas for them, behaviour, etc.?
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    HA, you've got me thinking I may need to do some research on what area, closest to the lower mainland, I might be able to hit for a walk in the woods and some meat harvesting. I just realized this season, unlike deer season, continues on for way longer.
    What pointers can you give WRT finding good areas for them, behaviour, etc.?
    As far as LML goes, I have no idea. According to several people who have been in touch via PM, they are not very easy to find down there.

I have to take some of that with a grain of salt, though, because I know people who rarely see them in the area that I hunt, as well. In fact, even if I am with them, and I see a hare, and then say "look, there's one" they sometimes don't see it till I kill it. I think some people can see them easier than others. Seeing them is the big challenge. Killing them is easy.

You are right about the season. It is only closed for 3 months. Find a good spot and you can harvest a lot of meat. ~74 pounds (boneless) so far for me this season.

Quote Originally Posted by hare_assassin View Post
    Seeing them is the big challenge. Killing them is easy.

You are right about the season. It is only closed for 3 months. Find a good spot and you can harvest a lot of meat. ~74 pounds (boneless) so far for me this season.
    And supposedly, according to you easier, than W/T's. I got a W/T my second day hunting. Not another one since, mind you. A number of Mule Deer but not another W/T. I did get my buddy a W/T in his first 20 minutes of hunting too.

It does give me a good excuse to head to the woods before the season ends though.
    "How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?" Valerie Martin, The Great Divorce

I'm curious about what region you are in.
    im in region 6 near Terrace and the populations really fluctuate around here.
    Sounds like a great year for you
    22 mag is my favorite also.
    Terry