Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shotgun

New Shotgun

Toying with the idea of buying a new auto-loader for duck and goose hunting. What are some of the best ones under $2K? What are the qualities that you look for in a good waterfowl gun?
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Shotgun

Like all guns fit is important. Go down to a gun shop shoulder/swing a Browning Gold, Bennelli vinici, berretta Extrema and Winchester sx3 and see what you like the best. I am not an autoloader guy but I like the bps the best out of those.
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 03-23-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Lots of great options for under 2k. Beretta, Benelli, Browning, Winchester. Best bet is to handle as many as you can and get a feel for them. You could read a million reviews on the internet but fit and feel is a personal preference and you have to handle them first. Ask yourself if you want a 3.5" gun or just a 3".

I picked up a Beretta A391 Xtrema 2 and love it.

The Browning BPS is a pump not an autoloader---Cheers---Field Marshal.

I picked up a 4ga for next season.... The 10ga didn't have enough knock down power.

1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    The Browning BPS is a pump not an autoloader---Cheers---Field Marshal.
    precisely

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Each brand makes excellent waterfowling guns. Best to hold the main models and see what swings and shoulders best. Which comes up nicely to point without even thinking about the mechanics of shouldering the gun.

2k will get you a great gun
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

get the sx3 just posted in the classifieds.

your welcome

(i would pick it up myself but i just burnt out the budget on a Benelli M2)

My dad has several different ones and what I have found is it is completely personal preference. I like the winch best but it is heavier. For geese he loves his Beretta extrema. He also has a Remington and a franchi. The rem is nice. The franchi is very nice but feels very light and almost too quick pointing.

If you want the best go with a Beretta Love my XII and my X A300, I really like my SX2 as well and the new SX3s are every bit as nice with a couple of added features. We do A LOT of waterfowling and they have never let me down. Get a 3 1/2 inch, A lot of folks will tell you you don't NEED it BUT you don't have to use it however it's there if you want it, you can shoot all the 2 3/4 loads you want out of a 3 1/2 gun but a 2 3/4 wont shoot 3 1/2s worth a crap
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 03-24-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.