Thread: Training DVD for Dog / Me?

Question Training DVD for Dog / Me?

Okay, so my female lab Cali is 7 months old now. I have introduced duck decoys to her since she was 7 weeks old, she has been around lots of dead pigeons and such from the barn at home and dead geese and ducks on the field, I have gotten her to be very well behaved and controllable as I can put a treat or food down and tell her to sit and then go eat on my command. She does fetch well now, as well as sit, laydown, come, and be able to go to where I point. I have gotten her used to the gunfire and she is not afraid by any means. We took her out lots in goose season and she will get in the blind on command. I also was quite impressed when I can chuck a piece of corn stalk into a big pile of them and she will come back with the exact one, so that's good I would assume. At this point she will run to the dead birds when I say to but just doesn't know what to do with them.. this is where I need training

I will be staying up in Nanaimo this weekend and will be stopping by Cabelas for some stuff, and I would like to get a training DVD, mainly to train me on how to train the dog properly for retrieving and commands. I know nothing about the subject and want to do it right. Any recommendations?

Longshot jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 12-12-2015 at 10:06 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Training DVD for Dog / Me?

Well you are at Cabela's look at the the "E" collars too great training tool. But if you get one have a professional condition her to it and teach you how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Well you are at Cabela's look at the the "E" collars too great training tool. But if you get one have a professional condition her to it and teach you how to use it.

This, and don't go cheap. Also here is a great video don't let the title throw you it works for any flushing retriever breed to produce an all round gundog

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Spani.../dp/B0013QTSQ2
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I am having a tough time with these two.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    She does fetch well now"
    then

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    "At this point she will run to the dead birds when I say to but just doesn't know what to do with them."
    "

I would suggest Get Bill Hillmans How to train a retriever puppy. When you are done that I would suggest Evan grahams Smart works, or Mike Lardy TRT depending on what you want to do with the dog I guess.... I have used all three.

If your Obedience is solid,
    I would suggest collar conditioning your dog then force fetching her. PLease get someone who knows what they are doing help you through those 2 steps.

Lorne
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 12-12-2015 at 03:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I have the Lardy series of DVDs and they are very good. I think to do it over again I would do the full program from Bill Hilllman. I would never want to hunt my dog without an e collar, they are a great training tool, just learn to use it and make sure you do a full conditioning program. Don't just put it on the dog and start zapping him. Mike Lardy makes a collar conditioning DVD and Hillman has a force fetch DVDS using an e collar. Your dog sounds like it has good obedience which is very important. I am not sure that cabelas wil have many truly useful DVDs.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice everyone

Longshot jr