Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimental Recreational Halibut Fishery

Re: Experimental Recreational Halibut Fishery

This is simply a function of people not being in touch with their politicians.

Very easy to fix.

Pick up paper, pen, write letter. Repeat.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

The thing is, what i dont think people are getting...
    Commie fisherman "X" has 10,000 lbs of halibut quota... he goes fishing in area "G" and gets his 10,000lb quota.... Fish are dead.
    Commie fisherman "Y" has 10,000 lbs of hali quota goes out for 5,000 lbs and sells quota for 5,000 lbs to a resort in area "G"... That resort employs a bunch more people, brings more money to the economy from the US and ultimatly sells the dead weight for more money... Either way the fish is dead... it just changes how much profit is made and how many people make it....

The only issue as i see it is....
    how much extra pressure does this bring to one area? if the hali quota is coast wide the commercial guy might take it from a few different areas, where as the Resort will only take it from 1.

impact on the enviornment is the only thing that matters, now i know first had what impact is. untill you see 5,000 lbs of hali in one place at one time... all still alive you may not have perspective

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Commie fisherman "X" has 10,000 lbs of halibut quota... he goes fishing in area "G" and gets his 10,000lb quota.... Fish are dead.
    Commie fisherman "Y" has 10,000 lbs of hali quota goes out for 5,000 lbs and sells quota for 5,000 lbs to a resort in area "G"... That resort employs a bunch more people, brings more money to the economy from the US and ultimatly sells the dead weight for more money... Either way the fish is dead... it just changes how much profit is made and how many people make it....

The only issue as i see it is....
    how much extra pressure does this bring to one area? if the hali quota is coast wide the commercial guy might take it from a few different areas, where as the Resort will only take it from 1.

impact on the enviornment is the only thing that matters, now i know first had what impact is. untill you see 5,000 lbs of hali in one place at one time... all still alive you may not have perspective
    Ok, so why do we need to buy it from a commecial guy? The resorts have the anglers regardless. The only difference is now the commecial guy gets given a bunch of money for doing nothing.

And why are recreation guys restricted on size (protect breeding stock?) while commercial isn't. Seems like if we could protect 85% (commecial) of the catch from killing breeding females we would be better off than protecting 15%(recreation)?

I like a freezer full of halibut and Salmon, try and do it every year but the Gov can go **** itself if it expects me to buy the right to go fishing from some lazy prick sitting at home in his lazy-boy.

lol.. i wont comment.
    lazy Prick in a lazy boy? lol

ahh maybe i will.

The resort will get way more business... more people from the states will come up if they can go home with moe then 2 fish for the cost of the trip. That doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out.
    The commercial guy is not going to give up his quota, And the governtment isnt going to take it away.
    Think of how many fish a longliner would row through if he was controled by size? What do you think the mort rate on a few miles of long line be.

by the way, i am a sport guy... but un like you i also know what Fishing is, i did that For quite a while. Worked for a marine reserch company a well....
    whats the big deal if this alows 2 indutstries to make money?
    Last edited by 835; 03-21-2014 at 12:39 PM.

The issue is paying a commercial interest for something that doesn't belong to them in the first place.

by the way, i am a sport guy... but un like you i also know what Fishing is, i did that For quite a while. Worked for a marine reserch company a well....
    whats the big deal if this alows 2 indutstries to make money?
    Tell me more. Tell me about my captains (thats plural cause I worked boats too), tell me all about the hard up commecial guys, blah blah blah. Tell me how beging GIFTED quota then sitting on his ass he sells it back! Same guy who rolls around in mercedies, has a nice house, ski cabin. Very hard up guy and he hasn't stepped onto his boat in YEARS! Wait I don't even know if he owns gear anymore, good thing he was gifted hali quota to sell us.

The issue is that there is no reason to have somebody paid to do nothing while residents, non-residents all get to give the commie more money for sweet-****-all! Why do we need to buy a public resource from a private company?

Ok,
    i come from both sides of the fence here...

There is a finite amount of Commercial liscences out there, and from that there is a quota issued to each liscense holder. The bottom line is the government will not be buying back the liscenses.
    The commercial guy is not going to give back his quota. The quota does in fact belong to them because these guys paid huge coin for the liscense to fish them. So, if you can make it profitable for the commercial guy to sell his quota to a sport operation then at least the fish earns more money to the sport sector. Now, i also think sport should get a better crack at it as well.

As i stated in my first post, i have been out of that industry for a long time, and there might be ramifications that i am missing. I remember Iron Knoggin said something last year that i can remember what the hell it was .. but it was refering to this and i didnt like it. Maybe when he gets wind of this thread he will help.

I was a commercial fisherman, a guide and an Observer.. i have always been a sports fisher. I am out there for the fish, for my kid to see what i have seen. And as well have as much money made by people involved as possible with out sacrifice. Difference with me is i see both sides.

RB,,, maybe your captain came from a family of fishermen,,, maybe he is 4th generation commercial and earned his way to that Mercedies you are talking about..... maybe not.. maybe he busted his hump somewhere else... to earn his way there... I dont know... but

..The quota does in fact belong to them because these guys paid huge coin for the liscense to fish them. So, if you can make it profitable for the commercial guy to sell his quota to a sport operation then at least the fish earns more money to the sport sector. Now, i also think sport should get a better crack at it as well.
    They pay for the ability to fish, they don't buy the fish. It's their choice to be in the industry, they don't need to be subsidized by the local angler. I work in the forestry industry, we've been kicked to hell and back but it's our choice to be here. Their license fee isn't much different than anyone that owns a business paying for a business license (other than the $$ difference). NO guarantees in business that having a license means you make money. Very simplified example I know but it is the principle (again, my opinion) that it's just wrong for residents to have pay a commercial interest to fish local fish in local waters. I don't believe (and could very well be wrong ..) that with halibut, if quota is not made ..no big deal, the annual allowable catch is a limit not a target unlike with animals and LEH where game management is in play and there is a need to get a certain number of specific animals down to balance things out.

I definatly aggree with you TPK.
    I do not like the idea of paying commercial interests either.

But, and i could be corrected here as well. like i said its been a while. there is/was 2 types of quotas. The "one big pile" everyone fishes till its gone, like in herring fishing. And the quota that is attached to a liscense, like Black cod.
    Halibut i believe is the latter. The boat owns quota. This is the part i am unclear on and yes it could totally change my view depending on how it works. I got out of the commercial industry when i was 21... im 37 so that gives you an idea.

Now the boat that owns the quota, ya maybe it might not get lucky and catch the entire quota but.. that is nit picking the deal.