Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Magazines

Hunting Magazines

I keep getting duped into buying random magazines based on the cover stories and more often than not end up disappointed with the purchase/content so I'm curious what other HBCers are buying or not? So:

1) Favourite magazine?
    2) Do you subscribe to one or more?
    3) Which one(s)?
    4) If not, do you buy random magazines dependent on content?
    5) Is the content worth it (whether single purchase or subscription)?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Magazines

I buy very few new hunting magazines anymore as most of them no longer tell the story of the hunt.

The best hunting magazines come from used book stores, garage sales etc as sometimes you can score some good reading material from the fifties, sixties, and seventies. There you will read what the grandfathers like O'Connor, Page, Whelen, Keith, and others had to say and the adventures they lived. No magazine written today comes close to giving the free rein those gentlemen got when weaving their tales.

As for actually learning from the content you will learn far more doing a search on this or numerous other hunting sites.

The only one I really like is "Bow and Arrow" I get several other bowhunting magazines, but they are a lot more fluff. I think the subscription is worth it.
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...

Big Buck, cause my SIL buys a subscription for me every couple years.

Used to do the Other mags, but they just got so commercialized by all the "guided hunts" and not a lot of DIY hunts.

I am trying to find a single issue of Big Game Illustrated to see what that is like.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I find that i keep coming back to eastman's bow hunting/ hunting journal . They have some ever good info in them .

Subscriptions to Eastman's Bow Hunting, Bowhunter and the Ethic which comes with Pope and Young membership. The Ethic has a feature animal every issue and goes into great detail about all aspects of their life, habitat and hunted history.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Quit buying magazines some time back, can find mostly what I want from the 'net, all though information comes with opinion which is not all bad if disseminated properly.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Everytime at the grocery store or chapters, stop by the magazine section and. Read an article, never need to buy one again, outdoor canada and ontario out of doors are my favourites

I subscribe to Big buck only I used to get others too but I never really liked them much. Big Buck is cool but I enjoy reading others stories and I get that some people aren't into that. I subscribe to hunter's youtube channels instead now haha. It's free and can be really good
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Big Buck, Sports Afield and Peterson's Hunting...